Wind turbines and chaos theory.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drive by the wind generators on the Arbuckle Mountains south of OKC from time to time. Got to wondering, each generator steals a certain amount of energy from the wind and converts it to electricity. Just wondering if you added up all the stolen energy, would it be enough to cause some sort of climate change? According to my understanding of chaos, a very small change here could have a huge effect somewhere else.
Probably a stupid question, just something I’ve been pondering on lately.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the ground? Sure. But that jet stream is a gargantuan force. A few greenie weenies with wind farms aren't going to affect it at all. It's like sticking your finger out the car window at 60 mph. Sure, you rob some power but you're not changing the world.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They can turn duck and geese into pink mist and since they aren’t ending up on my dinner table near as much before they where put in use, it causes chaos around here at the dinner table.
The whole wind turbine deal is a big joke, just wait. You will see what I’m talking about when they stop getting serviced which is inevitable.
I wouldn’t let them build on my place, no I don’t hate them, yes they are ugly and no they don’t lower power for anyone I know. Now if you have a permit(more money to the govt)to put your own very small one you would reap the benefits. Other then that, Oklahoma and Kansas sky’s are getting used to power the rest of the country not us.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drive by the wind generators on the Arbuckle Mountains south of OKC from time to time. Got to wondering, each generator steals a certain amount of energy from the wind and converts it to electricity. Just wondering if you added up all the stolen energy, would it be enough to cause some sort of climate change? According to my understanding of chaos, a very small change here could have a huge effect somewhere else.
Probably a stupid question, just something I’ve been pondering on lately.
The energy captured from the wind will simply be expended elsewhere. None of the energy is lost. On the whole scheme of things, I don't think it would be any different than erecting a fence to block the wind, or a building forcing the wind to blow around it, or an ocean taking the energy of the wind and making waves, or even setting the wind free by cutting down a line of trees.

The energy in the wind will eventually be absorbed by anything from a blade of grass waving in the wind to a mountain blocking a valley. Bottom line is that it is all energy provided by the sun.

Hydroelectric power is also energy provided by the sun. The sun evaporates water, the vapor condenses, rains down and forms rivers that fill the lakes that runs the turbines that produce electricity.

It's that circle of life thing.

Woody

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of the energy is lost.
A basic tenet of Einstein is that energy is never created or lost; it simply changes form.

An easy demonstration:
Take a lead bullet. Put it on an anvil. Whack it with a big hammer, hard enough to flatten the bullet.
Now grab hold of the bullet.
Burnt your fingers, dintcha?
The energy of the falling hammer was converted to heat in the lead bullet.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there are scientific theory out there that indicate that the wind turbines could cause a change in the weather. to what degree i don't know or if ? climate change is a bunch of hooy anyway. according al gore the california coast would have been flooded years ago just by the shrinking ice caps. those ice caps have shrunk regained and shrunk again several times since he and the scientists started this idea. conservation is a very good idea in my opinion.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated earlier energy cannot be created or destroyed but I too have wondered about the “downstream“ effects of “stealing” the wind. Even though it would have been absorbed by something at some point, what are the repercussions of those somethings changing?

Plus they are ugly, unreliable, inefficient and a huge (literally) waste problem.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't forget that the wind doesn't blow everywhere. I think if this thread progresses long enough, it will come back to the USA is the about the only nation trying to do anything "climate friendly", or so they claim, at the expense of its own future and demise of its own citizens.....

busy-work.jpg

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wind power has it's place in countries that have little of no oil. but in those area the energy prices are so high that the added cost associated with wind is ok. it doesn't make sense to me to subsidies the wind industry just to make the power they produce to be in line with our natural resources. if we only new just how much we pay for wind power??? if the wind industry had to sell their power at produced cost nobody would pay it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom