Windows 11

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What hardware has been made obsolete by software? Yes, after several years the updates aren’t available for older machines. I’ve never had a pc last longer than 3 years.
I believe it was OSX Leopard that wouldn't work on my IMac. That was back before my teaching career crashed and burned. OU's teacher ed program used newer versions, but I was trying to set an older one up to use in my classroom. This would have been before 2008. I've had several machines last quite a bit longer. Had an H89 that my FIL built in the early 80's that was still going strong in 1991. HDOS and CPM. Was headed for Germany, and didn't want to run it on 50hz power. The Z90 machine was only a couple of years younger. Those were the machines I put myself online with when GEnie was new and hot. The hulk of a PC sitting off my right shoulder now ran for over ten years, with Windows 3.0 and then 3.1 on it towards the end. The computer I just replaced was only 4 or 5 years old. It's a Dell Inspriron 3668. Win8, IIRC. Won't upgrade (if such it be) to Win11 since it's not got a late enough generation cpu. Though that one may have been a video card problem. I'll be trying it out again here in the next couple of days. May start playing with Linux on it if it will still run with out the video card. Got a 3D printer that could probably stand to not be connected to Windows machines.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not necessarily true. I hate Macs. Won't ever use one again. They are a great deal more expensive, and Apple seems to love to make the hardware obsolete by upgrading the software. Not all that fond of MS anymore, either, as they've been doing that same crap for a while now.

What I WANT is a modernized version of CP/M-86. You know what they say about wanting in one hand...

Bill
More expensive to buy? Yes. But not more expensive to own at all, quite the opposite really.

I just bought my 3rd Mac in 10 years. So I got 5 years out of the first two. Honestly though my first one would still do what I need it to do and I actually liked that one better because it had a built in magic drive. Shortly after 2011 Apple deemed optical media obsolete tech and stopped offering them built in. The only thing I did to it was install a SSD (after about 6 years) in it and I stopped using it in April of last year so in reality it went 10 years.

It saved me from buying a minimum of three new windows machines as I figure it and it would probably have been four. Sure I had upgraded as far as it would go but it still ran and my stuff and they still offer support on it. Windows just stops support altogether after a couple of years now it seems.

My other iMac was a 2014 model I bought refurbished off of Amazon to set up a second office at my moms since I was having to spend more and more time helping her out. She’s elderly and isn’t able to be on her own full time.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Mine are all 11 now...some work comps are required to be 11 if you're using Office 365...which is also required in my current employment venue.

I just update regularly and I have not noticed any issues whatsoever. I only thing is, is the "APP" layout. I'll have to go see if I can set it up like old school windows like the last time MS tried it.

Have to add, that I don't use all the BS in the system Like I used to. After watching some of these vids, I'm go have to go full nerd and start cleaning house.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom