1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Windows is driving me NUTS. :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tRidiot, Nov 30, 2019.

1. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    So I'm rapidly losing my patience with Winblows.

Stupid brand new Surface 7 Pro tablet keep hanging up, for 5-10 seconds, sometimes 3-4 times a minute.

I've done a ton of research online, this has been a problem with Winblows for years, tons of suggestions like updating drivers, removing problem programs, etc.

But this thing is BRAND. SPANKING. NEW. Like, literally, got it from Best Buy YESTERDAY. Updated everything on Winblows, the ONLY thing I have installed to this point is Google Chrome. I've removed Skype and the stupid OneCloud storage crap. Turn off notifications, increased the size of the page file, done multiple checks for updates, etc.

And get this... this is the SECOND one this has happened with. I bought a Surface 6 Pro in March, used it mainly for work and websurfing in my recliner for 9 months until I dropped it and shattered the screen... so I took it back to Best Buy and had it refunded under the protection plan and got a new one, paying only for the new protection plan ($200). But it was having the same random freezes and was locking up completely, requiring hard reboots. So I thought maybe it was defective - so I went back yesterday and braved the Black Friday crap so I could try again.

And here I am, having the same problem - probably worse, actually.

I have got to have something like this for work... the last 9 months were much better with the Surface 6 Pro, but this is ridiculous.

I'm actually thinking of switching to Mac now, after decades of using Winblows, but damn, Mac s**t costs at least double for the same functionality.

If I had any hair, I'd be pulling it out.

2. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I have gone exclusively iPad for mobile tablet. I like the idea of the Surface Pro, however the windows challenges have made the decision easy.
    I know every time I used my iPad it will simply work.
    Best of luck.

BobbyV and Shadowrider like this.
  3. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I hate Apple. And it is quite a bit higher, as well. The new iPad starts at $1000 for 64GB and I have to have a keyboard on top of that. (This is the 12.9" iPad Pro, to be about the same size as my Surface).

I'm really thinking now about just going back and getting a damned Chromebook with a touchscreen. I would lose a little bit of functionality not having an actual PC vs Chrome only, but a decent touchscreen Chromebook would give me the functionality I have to have at work, anyways...

NightShade and MilitantBEEMER like this.
  4. Shadowrider

Shadowrider Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm typing this on a mid-2011 iMac. I can promise you I wouldn't be getting any kind of life near that out of a MS box. I too went through the cost analysis and chose a new Windows box about 3 times before I coughed up the dough. Then I got this iMac and I've gotten every penny and more out of it. I did upgrade the drive to a SSD a couple years back, but who knows how long I'm going to run it? It's a quad core processor, has 12 gig of ECC RAM and runs all my stuff just fine. Might be 10 years.

MilitantBEEMER likes this.
  5. JD8

JD8 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Kind of had a similar experience with the Surface. Took it back and bought a MacBook Pro for me and the wife last year. Won't be going back to MS.

MilitantBEEMER likes this.
  6. fubarjohnnyr

fubarjohnnyr Sharpshooter

7. cjjtulsa

cjjtulsa Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Hate Apple too; kids talked me into an iphone (iFail) a few years ago, and I have a love-hate relationship with it. On my wife's old touch screen Chromebook now, and I'm not a fan of it, either; it's kind of a half-assed affair, but it works. Biggest problem I have is there are programs I need to load that aren't supported on a chromebook, so I need Windows. I have a new MS laptop due in next week. Hoping for the best there, as I've gotten used to the touch screen (and it isn't). If it dies an untimely death, then I might consider something else.

8. tRidiot

tRidiot Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Yeah, see the touchscreen is something I absolutely have to have. So an iPad might work, if I could stand Apple's BS, but not an iMac, etc.

9. TwoForFlinching

TwoForFlinching Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Would linux work on a touchscreen? Had it on the same desktop for 14 years. Replaced the capacitors on the board twice, but the software doesn't slow it down still to this day.

If you hate apple (me too) why not pop on a big galaxy tab or something running android? Prices vary greatly on tablets, most of that high price is the screen.

10. RickN

RickN Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I know nothing about tablets but if anything like other Windows computers it has a lot of crapware. If possible see what programs are running in the background, I bet at least one of them is dragging down the system. Things like Norton are resource hogs better met by programs like Avast Free. Turn off anything you do not use but one at a time and write it down so that you can turn it back on if a problem shows up.