Windows is driving me NUTS. :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My #1 problem with windows 10 is that Yahoo keeps wanting to take over chrome search engine. It does exactly what the OP describes. My search will sit there for five minutes before loading with most of the time it's an error page.
Go to the three dots on the upper right, select settings and see what is the default for your search engine. I delete Yahoo and put chrome as the default but every month or so it comes back. I think it's Macafee LifeSafe that is loading the Yahoo.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would linux work on a touchscreen? Had it on the same desktop for 14 years. Replaced the capacitors on the board twice, but the software doesn't slow it down still to this day.

If you hate apple (me too) why not pop on a big galaxy tab or something running android? Prices vary greatly on tablets, most of that high price is the screen.
Web browsing functionality and keyboard I need for work doesn't handle well in Android.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
My #1 problem with windows 10 is that Yahoo keeps wanting to take over chrome search engine. It does exactly what the OP describes. My search will sit there for five minutes before loading with most of the time it's an error page.
Go to the three dots on the upper right, select settings and see what is the default for your search engine. I delete Yahoo and put chrome as the default but every month or so it comes back. I think it's Macafee LifeSafe that is loading the Yahoo.
No problem with that. I usually use Avast, too... but havent even loaded that up yet. Nothing but Chrome.

(sent from my deer blind)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you checked the system logs to see if something is registering a problem? Right click on the start icon, go to event viewer. Open up windows logs and check both application and system to see if you are getting errors registered. Might help pinpoint the problem.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never messed with the surface tablets so can not be a lot of help there. May try a browser change though and see if that helps. Also uninstall any toolbars and always make sure that when you do an install you use the advanced options. Too many programs sneak crapware in and the only way to not install it is to do an advanced install. Most of the settings will be the same but you get to see what changes are made and when you come across the additional software section uncheck the other programs. Toolbars start when the OS starts which can affect the whole computer all the time. You can not believe the number of times I have nuked that type of stuff from business computers where the employees are installing stuff they shouldn't be on their workstation and wondering why they have issues. Even if you think there is nothing installed doing a double check is worth it.

Also check what is starting up on the system. Some programs like to put their little "update check" in the startup folder even though it will do the same function when you open the program. It's just something else running all the time and can cause problems if they are poorly written. https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-add-or-remove-startup-apps-in-windows-10/

And finally surface devices seem to have an issue where they throttle down way too much. https://www.windowslatest.com/2019/08/13/microsoft-surface-cpu-throttling-issue/ It looks like for now the fix is https://forums.windowscentral.com/m...-no-more-throttle-fans-surface-pro-3-4-a.html

I will say this, if you really do want to use android you should be able to. Look up a USB OTG connector for the tablet you have in mind. I have a Tab S4 and use one with a wireless mouse (which btw has been great, the first wireless mouse I have come across that is on par with a wired one) as well as with a cable to transfer dive information directly from my dive computer to my tablet for logging. A wired keyboard will also work but will draw a bit more power so battery life will suffer. But with android using the Linux kernel a lot of the drivers needed for input devices is already baked in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom