Windows is driving me NUTS. :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This sounds like a hardware issue to me; a brand new Surface shouldn't be doing this. I found a few people who've said that the solution was to get an exchange after talking to Microsoft Support, with one saying that they didn't even bother going through the diagnostics, just sending him back to Best Buy to exchange it.

There is a Surface Diagnostic Toolkit that you can get here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ace-problems-using-surface-diagnostic-toolkit

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
This sounds like a hardware issue to me; a brand new Surface shouldn't be doing this. I found a few people who've said that the solution was to get an exchange after talking to Microsoft Support, with one saying that they didn't even bother going through the diagnostics, just sending him back to Best Buy to exchange it.

There is a Surface Diagnostic Toolkit that you can get here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ace-problems-using-surface-diagnostic-toolkit
I kind of agree, but this is my 2nd one in a week withbthe same issues. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I just tried to run on Windows Edge for a while, and had the same problems, so it's not something that is unique to Chrome, or happens while Chrome is running (I had it closed at the time). So I'm going to try some of the other suggestions in this thread, but damn it has been WORSE this evening. Like, at times it will do this lockup thing every 5-10 seconds for 3-5 seconds, and once it did it for about a minute. I was just about to do a hard reboot. It's really pissing me off, though.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you tried calling Microsoft. No way a new device with an i5 should be doing that when it's brand new just browsing the net. I am leaning more towards a hardware issue.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you tried calling Microsoft. No way a new device with an i5 should be doing that when it's brand new just browsing the net. I am leaning more towards a hardware issue.
Or something running in the background using up the processor. tR have you a resource monitor you can watch while you're browsing? If it's an app that's a good way to pinpoint it.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some more things to take a look at. https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/94yyvw/chrome_very_sluggish_on_surface_laptop/ It's for a surface 4 but still potentially some stuff to try.

Something else to try is to see if you can drop Brave in and see if the same issues come up. It's basically chrome with a bunch of the things google uses to track disabled and some other privacy and adblock features included. All the chrome addons still work with it just fine but there is no google login so you will not be able to sync with saved passwords.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I ran the Surface toolkit thing, it went through a bunch of tests and said everything was fine.

However...

I have my Task Manager open in the background and have been doing a bunch of stuff for a half hour or so and I don't THINK it has frozen up on me, but it shows no significant spikes in usage of CPU or RAM. I dunno, I'm not ready to pronounce it 'fixed' yet, but it definitely is not as bad as it was an hour ago - when I came back from hunting today it was doing it a LOT, like 3-5 times a minute sometimes, and it was annoying as hail.

Now... I am struggling to notice it. Maybe the Surface Toolkit thing fixed it, without even recognizing there was a problem.

It did 'reinstall' a bunch of services it felt like it needed to do:
Reinstall Windows Store Application
Microsoft.SurfaceHub
Microsoft.Wallet
Microsoft.XboxSpeechToTextOverlay
Microsoft.Print3D
Microsoft.Xbox.TCUI
Microsoft.WebMediaExtensions
Microsoft.MSPaint
Microsoft.Messaging
Microsoft.ScreenSketch
Microsoft.OneConnect
Microsoft.WindowsCalculator
Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer
Microsoft.People
Microsoft.WindowsFeedbackHub
Microsoft.GetHelp
Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes
Microsoft.Windows.Photos
Microsoft.WindowsMaps
Microsoft.WindowsAlarms
Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder
Microsoft.ZuneMusic
Microsoft.ZuneVideo
Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub
Microsoft.StorePurchaseApp
Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection
Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller
Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider
Microsoft.WindowsStore
Microsoft.MixedReality.Portal
Microsoft.Getstarted
Microsoft.YourPhone
Microsoft.WindowsCamera
Microsoft.XboxApp
Microsoft.XboxGameOverlay
Microsoft.Office.OneNote
Microsoft.BingWeather
Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay
microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps
windows.immersivecontrolpanel
Microsoft.Windows.Cortana
Windows.PrintDialog
king.com.FarmHeroesSaga
king.com.CandyCrushFriends
Microsoft.MPEG2VideoExtension
Microsoft.HEVCVideoExtension
Microsoft.VP9VideoExtensions
Microsoft.HEIFImageExtension
Microsoft.WebpImageExtension
Microsoft.Whiteboard
Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost
Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost
Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin
Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge
Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost
Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager
Windows.CBSPreview
Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI
Microsoft.Windows.XGpuEjectDialog
Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI
Microsoft.Windows.PinningConfirmationDialog
Microsoft.Windows.PeopleExperienceHost
Microsoft.Windows.ParentalControls
Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkConnectionFlow
Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkCaptivePortal
Microsoft.Windows.NarratorQuickStart
Microsoft.Windows.CapturePicker
Microsoft.Windows.CallingShellApp
Microsoft.Windows.Apprep.ChxApp
Microsoft.Win32WebViewHost
Microsoft.PPIProjection
Microsoft.MicrosoftEdgeDevToolsClient
Microsoft.LockApp
Microsoft.ECApp
Microsoft.CredDialogHost
Microsoft.BioEnrollment
Microsoft.AsyncTextService
Microsoft.AccountsControl
InputApp
I don't know what most of that does, but, like I said, it DOES seem to be a bit better. Maybe a lot better. I'll withhold judgement, though, for now.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I was wrong. Or, rather, it was better, now it's not. I rebooted and then the problem came back, probably worse than ever. I've stopped all Chrome plugins as well, or addons, extensions, if you will. Then it froze up hard and required me to act like I was going to power cycle it by holding down the power button and it brought up a window asking me to confirm and I swiped it up and away and it works fine now... no more freezes for the moment. Like I scared it. lol

And when it was frozen for several minutes, the Caps key light would turn on and off when I clicked it, but NOTHING else worked - keyboard, touchscreen, mousepad, mouse buttons, etc. Only the Caps key light would turn on and off.

Go figure.

I'll have to see how it works tomorrow at the office and if it's too much of a problem, I'll take this one back, too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom