Windows is driving me NUTS. :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I was wrong. Or, rather, it was better, now it's not. I rebooted and then the problem came back, probably worse than ever. I've stopped all Chrome plugins as well, or addons, extensions, if you will. Then it froze up hard and required me to act like I was going to power cycle it by holding down the power button and it brought up a window asking me to confirm and I swiped it up and away and it works fine now... no more freezes for the moment. Like I scared it. lol

And when it was frozen for several minutes, the Caps key light would turn on and off when I clicked it, but NOTHING else worked - keyboard, touchscreen, mousepad, mouse buttons, etc. Only the Caps key light would turn on and off.

Go figure.

I'll have to see how it works tomorrow at the office and if it's too much of a problem, I'll take this one back, too.
While it's not working, do a ctrl-alt-delete, then task manager tab. Look at the CPU usage. There is a known bug in Win 10 that puts the CPU usage at 100% although in reality you're nowhere near that number.
I've experienced that issue a couple of times. For the record I'm using an Acer, 16 gig ram and 1 tb memory.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While it's not working, do a ctrl-alt-delete, then task manager tab. Look at the CPU usage. There is a known bug in Win 10 that puts the CPU usage at 100% although in reality you're nowhere near that number.
I've experienced that issue a couple of times. For the record I'm using an Acer, 16 gig ram and 1 tb memory.

Faster shortcut is Ctrl-Shift-Esc takes you directly to the task manager like XP used to.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, no, I had the task manager running in the background during freezes - no indication of high CPU or RAM utilization.

I may just buy a cheap Chromebook touchscreen to use at work, that is my biggest and most pressing need.

Sad thing is, I've bought 3 of these Windows Surface 7 tablets for our nurses for our non-profit - I hope like hell they're not going to have the same damned problems I am having. I've bought SIX of these things this year now. 1 I broke, 1 I returned, 1 I am considering returning and the other 3 haven't been used yet. <sigh>

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've almost decided to ditch all things Windows and desktop computers and go with a tablet or laptop. Both girls use a Mac and/or iPad for school and love them.

I could probably handle going to just using an iPad and old laptop for stuff, but who knows how that might go. I love having a workstation at work and home with 3 monitors. :)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might could do a Mac, but I really really like having a touchscreen. It just increases my productivity incredibly and with the way we work and our software it is super super handy.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I might could do a Mac, but I really really like having a touchscreen. It just increases my productivity incredibly and with the way we work and our software it is super super handy.

I bought a Chromebook a year or so ago when BestBuy had them on sale. Small, portable and does what I need it to do.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a lot of laptops are being made with touchscreens as well or were at one point. To be honest I just don't keep up with them as much since I either use a desktop or an android tablet with no real in between. The last laptop I picked up was for my wife and that was quite a few years ago anyway. When I go look at them I am just totally underwhelmed by the specs or flabbergasted by the price.

It sucks that there are so many problems with the surface though but who knows it may even have something to do with the vulnerability mitigation that were put in place for Intel's cpu's. When you pick something up and just expect it to work and they don't it can be a major pain.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someday I want a tablet, but one with a keyboard.

I have a one that my wife used with a keyboard. The problem is that the touch screen conks out on it so using a mouse is the best option most of the time, since the keyboard also brings along with it a USB port a little wireless mouse works pretty well. You can also get bluetooth keyboards that work fine. If you want to take a look at the one I have that has a built in keyboard let me know, we can always do some horse trading.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a one that my wife used with a keyboard. The problem is that the touch screen conks out on it so using a mouse is the best option most of the time, since the keyboard also brings along with it a USB port a little wireless mouse works pretty well. You can also get bluetooth keyboards that work fine. If you want to take a look at the one I have that has a built in keyboard let me know, we can always do some horse trading.

Out able to right now and I think the old nag would get upset if I tried to trade her. :pms2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom