Winter Harley Riding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious if there's any other winter riders here. What tires and battery setups are you using? I've come to the conclusion that the stock Harley battery is too weak to crank the bike over on extra cold days if it's been sitting for a few hours, and it's a huge pain to take the battery out and bring it inside every day. I don't have a garage, but I do have a cover for my bike. I figure if my Grandad could ride a hardtail chopper everyday back in the 60's and 70's, there's no reason I can't ride my bike today. My bike is a 2022 Sportster 48 that I'm working on setting up as a street tracker, any input (Or pics of your bikes) is appreciated!

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finding a helmet and visor that don't fog up in cold weather is going to be the biggest challenge. Even pinlock has limitations when it's 30 degrees out. (You ARE riding with a full face helmet right?)

For starting issues, just buy a cheap lithium jump pack and keep it handy as a booster.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i have a 12 year old shorai battery for 450 ktm. came used with the bike. capacity diminished it spins my 200 yam just fine now. i bent over $$$ and put one in my 08 1200 evo sportster. hoping for same long term reliability.
5k miles since june. fun to blast thru the gears. did a 2 day iron butt 1000 in august.
short suspension travel is a big dissapointment.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finding a helmet and visor that don't fog up in cold weather is going to be the biggest challenge. Even pinlock has limitations when it's 30 degrees out. (You ARE riding with a full face helmet right?)

For starting issues, just buy a cheap lithium jump pack and keep it handy as a booster.
Full face is a must in the winter, I've been rotating between a Biltwell Lane Splitter (With the vents taped closed) and a Biltwell Gringo S, I know they probably aren't optimal for cold, but I just dig the classic looks

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a battery that needs replaced.
I drove my V65 every day to work for a year on a $20 bet it could not be done.

No issues with cranking even when it was 10 degrees outside.
I have many friends and relatives that ride Harleys in the winter and no issues with starting.

I wore an HJC full face Snell approved helmet with a fog deflector and vents in front.

Screw looks I need function.
I rode when it was sleeting and snowing and when roads were covered with ice.

Warm is a must and I found out if I put on my regular work clothes and then my coveralls and then a rain suit I was very toasty.
Really cold or nasty days i would have my leather jacket on under the coveralls.

I also wore ACME slip on concrete boots PVC over boot. No cold or wet feet ever.
https://www.amazon.com/ONGUARD-8603...argid=pla-589669464701&psc=1&region_id=373786

These are not exactly what I had but 90% close.

There were 2 of us riding 55+ miles each day in terrible weather and we tried many kinds of gloves.
I ended up using fur lined welding gloves.

If you can make a wind block for your hands that is a great addition.

DO NOT use neoprene gloves in the extreme clod.
Your hands will sweat and get stupid cold.

At least ours did.
I ran the same tires no matter what the weather and I wore a neck brace also.

Have fun and be safe.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to ride everyday rain, shine or snow. I used a NOCO terminal adapter and then had my NOCO connected inside. Recharged every night when I got home, but it was good for the jump in the morning and throughout the day a couple of times if it didn’t warm up. Whole setup was about $100 but you can use the jumper for all sorts of things.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious if there's any other winter riders here. What tires and battery setups are you using? I've come to the conclusion that the stock Harley battery is too weak to crank the bike over on extra cold days if it's been sitting for a few hours, and it's a huge pain to take the battery out and bring it inside every day. I don't have a garage, but I do have a cover for my bike. I figure if my Grandad could ride a hardtail chopper everyday back in the 60's and 70's, there's no reason I can't ride my bike today. My bike is a 2022 Sportster 48 that I'm working on setting up as a street tracker, any input (Or pics of your bikes) is appreciated!
I used to ride mine year round, but we lived in Florida at the time. 🤣

Latest posts

Top Bottom