Winter to spring deer feeding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do many of you keep your deer feeders full and running until spring? One of the worst things we can do is after 3 or 4 months of feeding is to completely stop.
Once hunting season is over lots of people empty their feeders and bring them home or just quit filling them up. I’m guilty of doing this myself. Understandably lots of hunters don’t have the time or desire to continue keeping them full after filling their tags. Deer will often leave their home ranges to congregate around feeders. Wouldn’t you be tempted to leave some grazed out wheat and dead brush to go hang out where there is lots of good corn and a bunch of does?
With winter and cold weather coming deer will need to increase their intake to meet the daily protein and total digestible nutrients. Those that have been utilizing feeders and other high energy feeds with go through a “withdrawal” period. Basically their normal stomachs and digestive systems functions change causing a lot of acid build up. This change will be hard and often fatal to deer if the winter is hard weather gets brutal.
I don’t maintain my feeders as well as I should and our Oklahoma winters usually aren’t hard enough for a big winter kill but if you did keep your area well fed all fall it’s something to consider during the time of year that’s hardest on the one animal we a love to hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do many of you keep your deer feeders full and running until spring? One of the worst things we can do is after 3 or 4 months of feeding is to completely stop.
Once hunting season is over lots of people empty their feeders and bring them home or just quit filling them up. I’m guilty of doing this myself. Understandably lots of hunters don’t have the time or desire to continue keeping them full after filling their tags. Deer will often leave their home ranges to congregate around feeders. Wouldn’t you be tempted to leave some grazed out wheat and dead brush to go hang out where there is lots of good corn and a bunch of does?
With winter and cold weather coming deer will need to increase their intake to meet the daily protein and total digestible nutrients. Those that have been utilizing feeders and other high energy feeds with go through a “withdrawal” period. Basically their normal stomachs and digestive systems functions change causing a lot of acid build up. This change will be hard and often fatal to deer if the winter is hard weather gets brutal.
I don’t maintain my feeders as well as I should and our Oklahoma winters usually aren’t hard enough for a big winter kill but if you did keep your area well fed all fall it’s something to consider during the time of year that’s hardest on the one animal we a love to hunt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm pretty lucky in this respect. My neighbor keeps several feeders going year around. Protein in the spring with a mix of protein and corn in the rest of the year so I just dump mine.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine are filled now but turned down. Where they usually last a month to 5 weeks, I have the volume turned down so it will take them almost 2 months to empty. That gets them to the end of February and by that time, wheat pasture and food plots usually start picking up. Protein feeders will start up sometime in April.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep corn feeders running all year, but since I now have timer on my protein feeder, my plan is try to keep it filled at least until everything greens up.:anyone:

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run mine usually into spring just before Turkey season most years. I really need to look at either a large protein feeder or regular food plots. Most of my late winter deer feeding depends on the weather, cattle demands and family obligations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom