Wish I could find the “plumber” who did this II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
After remodelling our house this past year, I am pretty sure that it's never happening again. Every time I took down sheetrock or looked at something I found something that needed repairing. I've redone half of the electrical in this house, and kist so much more. Its unreal. there was literally romex stapled to the outside of the sheetrock and painted over, they ran it from one closet that had light to another that didnt, so that they could power that closet too.

are you replacing that framing around the tub too? looks pretty moldy?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
At

At least you didn't find what I did when I ripped out the old shower and tub.

This is the original fuse box with the guts removed and they just tied in to it and then buried it behind the shower. No sheetrock, no cover, just the thin shower surround keeping the water out for the last 30 years.

View attachment 320720View attachment 320721
I like how our bathrooms used to be the same color.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That plumber was electrocuted in 2001 while installing a toasty seat toilet.

my Granddad was a home builder and had me working, every summer, since I was big enough to swing a hammer.

one Thanksgiving (I was about 12, IIRC) my Great-grandmother wanted a closet converted to bathroom (water closet) and new toilet installed. I was sent under the house to attach waterline.

At Easter, Granny says I need to "fix" her toilet, I had attached the hot water. I asked why she hadn't mentioned it before? she says, it was winter, I liked it being warm.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At Easter, Granny says I need to "fix" her toilet, I had attached the hot water. I asked why she hadn't mentioned it before? she says, it was winter, I liked it being warm.
A former boss told me about some friends of hers who owned a hotel back east. They learned a valuable lesson about not PO'ing your contractor when they hooked up the toilets to the hot water system. Talk about some expensive flushing...

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple of my own stories -- the most recent left me with a gaping hole in the wall (thank God it's in the closet) and wants me a thousand more than he has already gotten outta me. I don't think so ... My conversation with his wife on the 28th is gonna be VERY interesting when she comes by to pick up my first payment. (He is going to conveniently be in Cali ....)

I've had it with these assholes. Any of you guys recommend a YouTube video or two on sheet rock and bed and taping?? 🤷😂 Yep I'm serious. **** these bastards. I can't do any water than the ******* "professionals" ... 🙄
Our house had popcorn texture ceilings. I removed all the popcorn and re-textured using the method similar to this YouTube video. I made a 12"x12" piece of plywood with a handle attached and then stapled large bubble wrap with the bubbles popped and did knockdown texture on the ceilings. Also on bathroom walls that I had torn out to the studs and re-textured. It is slower than using the typical method of using a spray type system, but less messy without over-spray. It turned out well.

Since you are only working with a small area, replacing the sheet rock and using this method after taping, etc. might be advantageous. Hope it helps!

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know at one time I thought that stuff was odd, after going through an add on to our house, and some of the idiocy I've seen I'm starting to think people just don't give a ****.

The latest round is a brick "mason". The owner of the company is great, responsive, and fixes the issues, it's just crazy how people work.

We had them brick in around a new back door, and fill in where we took a door out. First day I discovered that the didn't pay attention to the detail on the soldier course, they re-did that. Second trip they filled in the door, first thing I noticed is that the ledge didn't slope like the other ledges, one less than 3 feet away. In addition you can see in the pic what really stuck out. That issue was fixed today as well as the ledge, except the "mason" didn't space the gaps equally amongst the ledge bricks so there is a 1+" mortar fill on one end. The will be back tomorrow...

View attachment 319743
After being married to a Brick Masons daughter for 38 yrs there is no way that brick work would fly with my wife. First thing out of her mouth would be "I can here my dad cussing over that ****** work now". She mixed mud, carried brick and built scaffolding growing up working with her dad. Two of her four brothers are 3rd generation brick masons.
Remodeling or working around the house if it's not perfect it can slide. But brick work "It ain't happening".

Latest posts

Top Bottom