Wish me luck, please!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll make this the Cliff Notes version, 'cause it's a long story. I see an orthopedic surgeon Monday morning about my left shoulder. It started hurting me a full month ago, made a trip to the ER, had an X-ray and finally an MRI. I've already had surgery for a full-thickness rotator cuff tear on my RIGHT shoulder. The MRI on my left one shows a partial-thickness tear of the rotator cuff, a significant loss of cartilage, some bone spurs, and quite a bit of fluid build-up. I don't know what they do for partial-thickness tears or the cartilage loss, but I'm hoping it's not a repeat of what I went through with the right shoulder. That was no fun whatsoever! SO, please wish me luck and, if you're the praying kind, I would certainly appreciate your prayers as well! The pain level at times gets up there to about an 8 or 9. I have opioids I can take (due to back issues), but I really don't like to take them. I've been suffering through with quantities of acetaminophen and the occasional opioid (limiting myself to no more than one a day), but I can't keep this up forever. Something's gotta' give!
My thoughts and prayers are with you......hope you have a full recovery with no side effects

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been on prescription-strength naproxen sodium every day for many years, as well as some other meds that act as blood thinners. Thus, the reliance on acetaminophen since it is not a blood thinner. I know, it has other drawbacks, but I don't need to add another blood thinner.
I've been taking the OTC version for many years, since it gives me better control over the dosage. Likewise SWMBO and ibuprofen. We're also both taking aspirin for stroke prevention, since we both have metal implants. I've got two artificial hips, she's got screws and plates and such in her cervical & lumbar spine.

I had to stop both of them for a while as I had the nerves burned in my lumbar spine two weeks ago. The lowest site was an enormous purple bruise until yesterday, when I restarted aspirin with one 81mg tablet after stopping all of them early this week. Today I'll be taking one more of those, and one 220mg naproxen.

Not something you want to mess with, for sure! I have to take so much acetaminophen to get any effect from it that it would be easy to exceed the lethal dose, so I don't mess with it. Works fine for SWMBO in small doses, which is a good demonstration of the fact that everyone's bodies are different! Also why I suggested you talk to your doctor, rather than just starting it up. Your reasons are, shall we say, REAL GOOD! So Good Luck, and God Bless!

Bill

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I've been on prescription-strength naproxen sodium every day for many years, as well as some other meds that act as blood thinners. Thus, the reliance on acetaminophen since it is not a blood thinner. I know, it has other drawbacks, but I don't need to add another blood thinner.
I’ll tell you something I’ve just started doing. I’ve been taking some natural inflammation supplements for about 6 weeks. Turmeric and tart cherry extract. Capsules. Before I used to average between 2-6 600mg naproxen caplets a week. I’ve taken ZERO since. Whether it’s in my head or not I dont care. I want to get off as many meds as I possibly can.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll tell you something I’ve just started doing. I’ve been taking some natural inflammation supplements for about 6 weeks. Turmeric and tart cherry extract. Capsules. Before I used to average between 2-6 600mg naproxen caplets a week. I’ve taken ZERO since. Whether it’s in my head or not I dont care. I want to get off as many meds as I possibly can.

Started taking them a couple of days ago. Too early to tell, I guess.

In the meantime, the shoulder is definitely going to require surgery. BUT, the Doc is also concerned that I may have a problem in my neck, i.e. a pinched nerve. SO ... I have an MRI on the neck scheduled Wednesday afternoon. If he finds a problem there, I will be off to a neurosurgeon! If that MRI looks OK, we'll be scheduling the shoulder surgery. The sooner, the better. Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes, folks!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK. That was way too whiney. A bit of an update. The MRI on my neck was OK. Nothing there to contribute to my shoulder problem. Shoulder surgery is scheduled for December 1st. I'll start PT about two weeks after surgery, be in a sling for about six weeks, and full recovery will take three to four months. Thanks to all for your prayers and well wishes!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom