WMA hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I don't have a lease to hunt on, I could use some pointers. I figure we could use the collective mind on here to help flesh out some WMAs, rather than making unfruitful scouting trips. I have some questions about a few WMAs, and will share my experiences at others.

My experiences: Tishmingo WMU/Texoma Washita Arm WMA: Theres Wild pigs to be found here, heavily pressured, but I have seen many along the river and in the fields throughout. No experience with squirrels or turkeys here, but I am interested in finding out. some roads throughout, but can be difficult/long walk to get places. Tishmingo WMU has some real nice camping spots, with fire pits and tables. Quite a few people in here.

Love Valley WMA Lots of roads, some good places to hunt can be exceptionally difficult to get to on foot. Some good spots for fishing on the red river. Seen lots of squirrels throughout, and lots of hogs/hog signs throughout.

Lexington: No hogs that I have seen, have seen a few tracks. Seen a few squirrels along the ponds, lake dahlgren is supposedly great for crappie fishing, no luck yet though. Great roads, lots of fresh gravel. Lots of people in here, mostly due to its proximity to OKC.

Honobia/Three rivers: This place is gorgeous, camping is pretty wide open. Saw lots of dead hogs along the side of the road getting here, lots of signs, but didn't see any in the flesh. Tons of Squirrels in the bottom areas near creeks. Accessibility is alright, lots of dirt roads, but the further back you go the worse things get. I saw one other soul during my last 3 day stay, and that was a truck driver in a lumber truck. Make sure you get your land access permit before showing up, and try to download a map to your phone or have a physical one with you. very little cell reception, even with my cell signal booster, and the place is huge.

James Collins WMA
Deep fork WMA
Eufala WMA
Okmulgee WMA
Wister WMA
Heyburn WMA

How are these for hunting? Overly crowded? Difficult to get around? Whats the squirrel population like, and where are the best places to find them?

Any other good WMA's that are within a decent distance of OKC? Any further out that are well worth the drive?

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve seen some monster bucks taken on the WMA’s up here in Texas County. Some people make the drive from downstate and camp out.
I remember my first time (and only) in beaver wma I was grabbing the shotguns out as we were unloading the bird dogs, and I had the largest muley buck I’ve seen outside of Colorado almost run into the parked truck. Didn’t even see us. Dudes neck looked like a trash can.

I’ve wanted to go back up there and find some prairie dogs or jackrabbits, but haven’t yet.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve only been to Lexington WMA (mainly since it’s close) and I hardly see squirrels. I’ve never seen a rabbit! But I’ve seen deer, turkey, pigs, dove, coyotes, & bobcats. I have an amazing time every time I go. Whether or not I see/kill anything!
Was just there today. Hit up the range and stomped around looking for sheds. I always enjoy going, it’s nice to have it so close to the city.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I remember my first time (and only) in beaver wma I was grabbing the shotguns out as we were unloading the bird dogs, and I had the largest muley buck I’ve seen outside of Colorado almost run into the parked truck. Didn’t even see us. Dudes neck looked like a trash can.

I’ve wanted to go back up there and find some prairie dogs or jackrabbits, but haven’t yet.

I’ve shot out a few prairie dog towns around here. I keep finding new ones when I’m working but have yet to try and speak to the landowners.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I don't have a lease to hunt on, I could use some pointers. I figure we could use the collective mind on here to help flesh out some WMAs, rather than making unfruitful scouting trips. I have some questions about a few WMAs, and will share my experiences at others.

My experiences: Tishmingo WMU/Texoma Washita Arm WMA: Theres Wild pigs to be found here, heavily pressured, but I have seen many along the river and in the fields throughout. No experience with squirrels or turkeys here, but I am interested in finding out. some roads throughout, but can be difficult/long walk to get places. Tishmingo WMU has some real nice camping spots, with fire pits and tables. Quite a few people in here.

Love Valley WMA Lots of roads, some good places to hunt can be exceptionally difficult to get to on foot. Some good spots for fishing on the red river. Seen lots of squirrels throughout, and lots of hogs/hog signs throughout.

Lexington: No hogs that I have seen, have seen a few tracks. Seen a few squirrels along the ponds, lake dahlgren is supposedly great for crappie fishing, no luck yet though. Great roads, lots of fresh gravel. Lots of people in here, mostly due to its proximity to OKC.

Honobia/Three rivers: This place is gorgeous, camping is pretty wide open. Saw lots of dead hogs along the side of the road getting here, lots of signs, but didn't see any in the flesh. Tons of Squirrels in the bottom areas near creeks. Accessibility is alright, lots of dirt roads, but the further back you go the worse things get. I saw one other soul during my last 3 day stay, and that was a truck driver in a lumber truck. Make sure you get your land access permit before showing up, and try to download a map to your phone or have a physical one with you. very little cell reception, even with my cell signal booster, and the place is huge.

James Collins WMA
Deep fork WMA
Eufala WMA
Okmulgee WMA
Wister WMA
Heyburn WMA

How are these for hunting? Overly crowded? Difficult to get around? Whats the squirrel population like, and where are the best places to find them?

Any other good WMA's that are within a decent distance of OKC? Any further out that are well worth the drive?

Heyburn and Okmulgee are probably fine for squirrels, but they get way too much pressure for deer season to suit me. Anything close to Tulsa or OKC is gonna get more traffic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom