Wolf Primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always used CCI large pistol primers for my 45acp loads. I came a cross some Wolf primers and bought them the other day. Are they any good? Do I have to change my recipe any for my loads? Thanks guys.

Mike

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i bought some wolf for 45 a few years ago. i didn't notice any change in my loads or how my guns reacted. i generally load near the low end of the scale anyway, so even if all i can get my hands on is magnum primers, i'm usually good to go.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You buy what you can find sometimes. I've had good luck with thier primers. To be honest for the most part I don't worry to much about the brand. I used them all and they all went bang.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You buy what you can find sometimes. I've had good luck with thier primers. To be honest for the most part I don't worry to much about the brand. I used them all and they all went bang.

With all due respect OF. You don't worry because you have never had any real problems. 5-10% FTF from bad primers is the pits. Especially if you have already loaded 3K and have another 7K in the cupboard.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'ver gone through about 40K of wolf primers in various categories. I have only had a few (less than 10) fail. Ty, sounds like you got the bad lot in its entirety.. That would suck bigtime..
I used winchester primers when I could get them, but the price on wolf and the lack of availability on most of the others pushed me to them. They seem to work exactly like the winchester,
I can't tell any difference in velocity with the chrono.. Wolf has not been available on the last couple of orders, so I have been using the TULA, which is made on the same line in the same
factory so I have read.. I guess they switched to raise the price.. Blitzfike

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'ver gone through about 40K of wolf primers in various categories. I have only had a few (less than 10) fail. Ty, sounds like you got the bad lot in its entirety.. That would suck bigtime..
I used winchester primers when I could get them, but the price on wolf and the lack of availability on most of the others pushed me to them. They seem to work exactly like the winchester,
I can't tell any difference in velocity with the chrono.. Wolf has not been available on the last couple of orders, so I have been using the TULA, which is made on the same line in the same
factory so I have read.. I guess they switched to raise the price.. Blitzfike

Yea, Ive had pretty good luck with them over the years. Just ended up with some bad eggs. Thought at first that it had gotten wet or something but saw where other people on barfcom were complaining too so I Google'd the lot number and saw that it was not a fluke. It was a couple years ago and I havent heard much about it since. That is why I said to the OP that they might want to be wary if it did not appear to be a fresh made lot

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wolf had a bad run of SPP a few years back, they were silver in color. The brass SPP were good to go. I haven't seen any Wolf SPP since the bad run.
I've used the Wolf LPP in my practice ammo without a single failure (I've only seen them in brass) and they were only $15 per K to boot!

Latest posts

Top Bottom