Wood pellets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the expensive propane and electric. I assumed the pellets for heating stoves were cheaper than the pellets for smoking food because of woods used etc.
The pellets I was getting from Xylo (east of Wayne, IIRC) were significantly cheaper than any of the smoker pellets I found. They did have a warning that they were not for use in cooking stoves/smokers.

ETA: it has been a couple of years since I bought bags of pellets, but I want to say they were $4 and some change for a 40lb bag. They were slightly cheaper by the pallet, which was 50 bags.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A buddy orders online at Atwoods then picks up at store. They will load you up if there is one near where you live. He uses for heat and buys pallets at a time.
Atwood’s is the cheapest I’ve found but we don’t live in a town with lots of competition among retail outlets.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The pellets I was getting from Xylo (east of Wayne, IIRC) were significantly cheaper than any of the smoker pellets I found. They did have a warning that they were not for use in cooking stoves/smokers.

ETA: it has been a couple of years since I bought bags of pellets, but I want to say they were $4 and some change for a 40lb bag. They were slightly cheaper by the pallet, which was 50 bags.
Yes, there are pellets for horse stalls and cooking pellets.
I have an outdoor patio fire pit that burns pellets just thrown in with a little starting fluid to get them going. Bag of the horse says pine and will not burn unless some tinder from some of our self pruning walnut trees are put on top. fire retardant added? Don’t have a clue, but if putting some of the cooking pellets in the same fire pit, they burn into a fine ash without the tinder.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, there are pellets for horse stalls and cooking pellets.
I have an outdoor patio fire pit that burns pellets just thrown in with a little starting fluid to get them going. Bag of the horse says pine and will not burn unless some tinder from some of our self pruning walnut trees are put on top. fire retardant added? Don’t have a clue, but if putting some of the cooking pellets in the same fire pit, they burn into a fine ash without the tinder.
The pellets from Xylo are for use in pellet stoves, they're just intended for use in the heating-type pellet stoves, not the cooker-type. They burn just fine in my folks' pellet stove.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
received_1016407565712306.jpeg

R D Harmon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an electric smoker and a Cameron's stove top S/S smoker. I use PitBoss hicory, maple,apple flavor pellets in both smokers.
The flavor the pellets impart in all the meats, cheese and such is outstanding for my taste. I buy mine at lowes and the price is up just like every thing else. You might check lowes for pallet load price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom