Wood stove in a spray foamed house?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a wood stove, burned it a lot the first couple of years but not so much since then, it's really a backup for the main heating system.
We had a vent and fresh air kit put in from the wall right behind the stove, into the attic, and out under the eaves.
Once I happened to get lucky and was just checking on the stove and noticed the vent pipe was really hot.

I always check the draft before lighting it up, but I think the wind conditions were just right and it started drafting in reverse; I was lucky it didn't catch the wall on fire.

Since then I disconnected the stove from the vent and just have an open vent in the wall close to the stove.

Wood stove fresh air intake vents shouldn't, and have no need to, travel UP any distance, much less to the roof. They call that a chimney - and so it acted like one.

OP, there is no issue with a wood stove in a spray foam house unless it is truly too airtight to draw, which would be mitigated by the fresh air intake (vent) kit.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might also check with your insurance company, some require regular chimney/flu cleaning. Farm Bureau (IIRC? may have been Shelter) wanted us to have it done every 6 months. If so, be sure to keep proof of cleaning in a safe place.
:drunk2:

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might also check with your insurance company, some require regular chimney/flu cleaning. Farm Bureau (IIRC? may have been Shelter) wanted us to have it done every 6 months. If so, be sure to keep proof of cleaning in a safe place.
:drunk2:

^^Like Mack said, you definitely want to check with your insurance company, if you haven't already. I had considered putting a wood stove in our house as backup heat in winter, but our homeowners insurance said that they wouldn't cover us if we do.

freewookie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In our current house All State just required us to provide a receipt that it had been professionally installed. No requirements around sweeping it but I sweep it a couple times a season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
22 years here and use the wood insert to heat the house quite often.
But I always have free wood.
One year it was very cold and snow got quite deep I burned 10 ricks of dry wood that year.

Relatives in Oregon use wood to heat their homes there and burn Pine and Fir and it makes a lot of heat and little ashes.
Stove pipes stay clean because the wood is dry and burns very hot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom