Wood Stove Pipe Installer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been installing wood stoves, Pellet stoves and decorative gas appliances since I was 19 and I'm 62 now. Really not much I dont know about it so I can help any way I can. Ask away or ?!?!?!?!?! I'll check out what travel is from SE Oklahoma. My simple advice would be; Dont guess, do it/get it done correctly. You say you're in "Bristow"? Is that Oklahoma?
I don't really have questions as I'm not up to doing the work as it is too improtant of a piece of this remodel puzzle as well as a life safety issue that I don't trust myself. Plus, this type of thing is not in my wheel-house. If this was a hunting cabin or wall tent I'd tackle it no problem. Aside from labor & materials, let me know what it would take to get you interested in making the journey. Or if you have a reliable recommendation, I'd take that too. Thanks

Bealzybub

Marksman
Reaction score
So, from looking at the picture I'm noticing an awful close clearance up there at the top. Can you tell if that is double wall stove connecter (verses single wall black pipe) and if it is double could you send me a picture so I could try to identify it? If you could just stand underneath it and get a picture of where it would connect to the next piece (if double wall). Thats a good place to start.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, from looking at the picture I'm noticing an awful close clearance up there at the top. Can you tell if that is double wall stove connecter (verses single wall black pipe) and if it is double could you send me a picture so I could try to identify it? If you could just stand underneath it and get a picture of where it would connect to the next piece (if double wall). Thats a good place to start.
So, all I have is this. Where the pipe comes down and terminates at the ground, I cut that with a sawzall to be able to remove the stove for the remodel. That section (vertical section) was not double walled. I havent checked higher up closer to the ceiling to see if it is double walled or not. Upon buying this property in February I have noticed a lot of hookey chit the prior owners did and have a feeling the stove vent pipe is one of them. Currently don't have a latter tall enough to get to the ceiling. We have our painter coming back in the next week or so and I will see if he has a ladder tall enough to get to the ceiling or I may just have to buy some scaffold or a giant A-frame ladder.

My thought is the original position of the stove required the current elbows you see in the pic up near the ceiling. With its new location i would think the pipe could come out of the ceiling and then run about 18-20" below the ceiling at the same angle downwards to just above the stove then drop down vertically into the stove. Let me see what pic and intel i can get you this weekend and get back with you.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wood stove pipe? I think I'd just cough up the money and buy a metal one.

No, seriously I had a Sears Heatalator box stove for 25 years.
Wasn't that hard to install. It had single wall pipe coming out the back and going to ceiling.
They were 2-3 foot sections, you squirted in some heat paste as you put them together with sheet metal screws.
Then the stuff going thru the ceiling, attic and roof was like stainless looking double lined pipe assembly which has a set amount of clearances to maintain per city code. It had a square box in the cieling and a funnel looking collar on the roof. Those were screwed in place to keep it rigid. If I remember right it had to stick up a certain amount like a chimney to prevent smoke from coming back in house thru roof vents and eaves.

Bealzybub

Marksman
Reaction score
Wood stove pipe? I think I'd just cough up the money and buy a metal one.

No, seriously I had a Sears Heatalator box stove for 25 years.
Wasn't that hard to install. It had single wall pipe coming out the back and going to ceiling.
They were 2-3 foot sections, you squirted in some heat paste as you put them together with sheet metal screws.
Then the stuff going thru the ceiling, attic and roof was like stainless looking double lined pipe assembly which has a set amount of clearances to maintain per city code. It had a square box in the cieling and a funnel looking collar on the roof. Those were screwed in place to keep it rigid. If I remember right it had to stick up a certain amount like a chimney to prevent smoke from coming back in house thru roof vents and eaves.
2 feet higher than 10 feet away is the code and the generally acceptable standard although varying conditions may dictate that it might need a little more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom