Wooded or non-wooded acreage???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our preference was the three acre place we bought with scattered trees. When mowed, it looks like a park. Big native walnut, pecan and oak trees sitting in the middle of over a thousand acres of undeveloped land. We get the benefits of the woods that hold wildlife that visit us plus some semi open areas.
Keep big trees and brush away from the home in case of fires and or ice storms/high winds.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try reframing your question. Soil type, water availability, drainage, access, and presence of natural/man made barriers and obstacles are what matter. Other than an impending winter with no alternative for heat (possible but not probable), you’ll find you can make use clear, open land with good soil (and ample water) to produce and provide for you better than your normal Oklahoman variety of woodland.
I’d start researching permaculture, and what plants can be utilized together in guilds to provide for you and your property in a regenerative mindset.

okjoek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 40 acres, wooded. I cleared for my house, shop and garden. We love the privacy and quiet. Plenty of shade during the summer, leaves fall off in the winter and we get plenty of sun. Really, we can all tell you what we want or like but you need to decide what you want. I was going to clear about 5 or 10 acres for a couple of cows but have never gotten it done, I'm almost 70 now so....

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d say, “Choose wooded land.” Woods provide privacy, wildlife habitat, good soil and useful fuel in an emergency. Spend the additional money to build deep in the property, away from roads and highways, where your dogs can run free and be dogs. it’s worth it. You can always clear land for gardens and,or pasture. A good pond is essential and a well for water. I’ve lived like this for the past 46 years. This is my opinion and I’m sticking to it

Latest posts

Top Bottom