Work bench in work shed start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up two vintage vices today. I'll completly restore both and bolt them on my bench (bench is 11' 6" long and 2' deep). They are the ones you can use the anvil on top and not break it. I'll sand them down smooth, put some filler where it's needed, sand/prime and paint fire engine red with with lettering.
Have to see my surgeon tomorrow or I would finish the skeleton of the top with support legs as well as attaching to wall on 3 sides.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK. Back to the work bench. Wife had to take her to a DR. appointment so I was not being watched. Have a cardiac monitor on and suppose to just go about my nomal day for the next 7. I figured I'd count my normal day a few years back...Ha. Got a chance to start the bench and finished my bench top. I'll put it in the shop (Its a shop now and not a shed. It has a bit more class) and screw it to 3 walls after leveling. I'll add 8 L 2x4 legs with a 2x4 crossing and tieing into the opposite leg for putting lumber, or anything I want off the floor.
Then its just adding a coupel of 12 foot 2x8's and a 2x12 top. I'll add a 1x4 back splash so I dont have one of those deals where screws and such fall through cracks.
I'm a bit tired but I got to get the legs on and finished before she gets back.
This has been a good day. I have a ton of work at the office I need to get at tomorrow but that's tomorrow. Today is a me day.
Heres the finished top skeleton made of 2x4s

Attachments

• Bench 1.JPG
    Bench 1.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 72

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got it scabbed in and was going to fully attach to the walls and put L legs in today, but I got busted. I have this silly heart monitor I have to wear for a week before my next surgery, or as I like to call it..."The new additon to my thorasic's lake house". It went off and called my wife to see if I was having a problem. I had to tote the skealton top (12'x2') out to the work shop from my garage and it got my heart rate up. God snitched on my a computer chip...
Hauled it in and leveled the back on the scab blocks with 1/8" slant front to rear. Nothing like having a work bench where every thing rolls off the front on the floor. I'll add cross board joining the legs front to back, for storage of boards, pipe or what ever.
Wife will be gone tomorrow morning so I'll get it done.

Attachments

• Bench scabbed in.JPG
    Bench scabbed in.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 62

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finished. It's solid as a rock with cross braces below that I will top with 1x8's for storage or for wood, etc. Made it with 2x12(s), 2x8 and 2x4. 28" wide with 4" hang over for clamping or what ever. Next I'll put wiring in with 5 seperate plug outlets just above the bench top for tools and chargers....what ever.
This was fun. Wife was gone today so I got to finish.
I've done a couple of HD benches but this was my first 12' long and 28" wide. l'll be tinkering with a few things to make quick detach points on the top. That way, if needed, I could qd my grinder, large sander or other things quickly for the room. I'll be breaking down the 75 Honda completly. Even though I have a bike work lift, I think several large areas will be needed on top (engine.....so on)

Attachments

• Bench done 1.JPG
    Bench done 1.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Bench done 2.JPG
    Bench done 2.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 64

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have OCD. It's a pain. The small opening between boards was drving me crazy so this morning I made a mixture of sawdust and wood glue and filled the cracks. I'll let it set over night and sand tomorrow after church and restain. There will be a lot of glue marks but I think I can sand them out with very little problem. Puts off my varnishing but that's ok. I'll put the back splash (I'll need to pick up a 1x18 and 1x4 both 12' long. And be done.
Here's my OCD fix

Attachments

• Bench OCD.JPG
    Bench OCD.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 46

Latest posts

Top Bottom