1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Workin on chit thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cowcatcher, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Figured we might as well have a workin on chit thread n stuff.
    Noticed the other day I had a bad grinding sound when I put my truck in 4wd. I took it to a neighbor mechanic fella so he could give it a listen. He said sounded like the chain was skipping. He then said my options were to buy a used one for $500, buy a new one for $2k or if he tore into mine to repair it it'd cost $1500. I came home and called another mechanic buddy and took it to him. We did some listening and looking and he said he thought it was probably the chain. I brought it home and gave everything else a good checking to be sure before ordering parts. I wound up putting the truck on blocks and having my wife operate the truck while I listened underneath and checked things. I went to town and bought me a scope camera and stuck it in the fill hole of the t-case so I could watch the chain. Yup, definitely chain skipping and slapping around. I ordered the parts and tore it down today and got it close to put back together. I had also noticed my center support/carrier bearing was shot. Bearing was still good but rubber support was cooked. I replaced that too. So, IF this fixes my problem, which I'm pretty confident it will, I saved myself about $1250 near as I can tell. Surely my wife will gladly hand me $600 to spend how I wish.
    Oh for those wondering, this is a 2010 3500 Ram 4x4 with 6.7 cummins G56 handshaker with a Valair dual disk clutch. The t-case is a New Process 271d. Truck is pretty much like a rugah in that it'll rotate earf when you let the clutch out.
    IMG_6241.PNG IMG_6242.PNG IMG_6243.PNG

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    DRC458, swampratt, O4L and 8 others like this.
  2. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Of course she will. Let us know how that goes btw... :D

Luck. :drunk2:

druryj, rc508pir, RickN and 1 other person like this.
  3. dlbleak

dlbleak Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Oh man, sounds like fun stuff. Actually, I like doing projects that saves hunerds if not thousants of dollars. It’s how I justify my other hobby’s...

4. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Most definitely! The only way I can afford to buy more stuff is to do most of my own repairs. My wife even slid under the truck with me on the spare creeper.

DRC458, swampratt and kwaynem like this.
  5. TwoForFlinching

TwoForFlinching Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I'm no mechanic, but I really like wrenching on my own cars. I figured I'll either save a bunch of money by fixing it, or can't and have to pay anyway. Luckily, I haven't run across something I couldn't tackle yet. Wheel bearings suck. Torsion bar replacement sucks. Rear mains suck. But I can't imagine the labor I saved on all of it. Of course, all that saved money ended up becoming tools, but they've paid for themselves I suppose.

Kudos for tackling it yourself. The world doesn't have enough of that these days.

MR.T. and Cowcatcher like this.
  6. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I just asked. Yeah, it didn't work.

druryj, rc508pir, TerryMiller and 3 others like this.
  7. Cowcatcher

Cowcatcher Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yup. I got the new scope camera thing this time. This thang is handy. I've almost got my daughters convinced I can use it for dentistry.
    IMG_6195.JPG

8. Okie4570

Okie4570 Moderator Staff Member

Rating
    100%
    I like axles, gears, transmissions, transfer cases, etc. Rebuilding those I enjoy, tearing into engines isn't my thing though. Working on them is fine, I'll pass on the rebuilding part though.

kwaynem and Cowcatcher like this.
  9. Timmy59

Timmy59 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Love the ending, and yup fixing chit to save big $$ is the way we roll.. Saved myself many a $$, Youtube often plays part too on the automotive fixes.. I need to hone my butchering skills, that's an area where I see saving $$.. And yet comes another funny ^^ nice camera scope.. MAYBE you can do some preg checking with it too, LOL..

Cowcatcher likes this.
  10. Cards81fan

Cards81fan Sharpshooter

There's gotta be a use for it on the cattle...

Okie4570 and Cowcatcher like this.