Workin on chit thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Figured we might as well have a workin on chit thread n stuff.
Noticed the other day I had a bad grinding sound when I put my truck in 4wd. I took it to a neighbor mechanic fella so he could give it a listen. He said sounded like the chain was skipping. He then said my options were to buy a used one for $500, buy a new one for $2k or if he tore into mine to repair it it'd cost $1500. I came home and called another mechanic buddy and took it to him. We did some listening and looking and he said he thought it was probably the chain. I brought it home and gave everything else a good checking to be sure before ordering parts. I wound up putting the truck on blocks and having my wife operate the truck while I listened underneath and checked things. I went to town and bought me a scope camera and stuck it in the fill hole of the t-case so I could watch the chain. Yup, definitely chain skipping and slapping around. I ordered the parts and tore it down today and got it close to put back together. I had also noticed my center support/carrier bearing was shot. Bearing was still good but rubber support was cooked. I replaced that too. So, IF this fixes my problem, which I'm pretty confident it will, I saved myself about $1250 near as I can tell. Surely my wife will gladly hand me $600 to spend how I wish.
Oh for those wondering, this is a 2010 3500 Ram 4x4 with 6.7 cummins G56 handshaker with a Valair dual disk clutch. The t-case is a New Process 271d. Truck is pretty much like a rugah in that it'll rotate earf when you let the clutch out.
IMG_6241.PNG
IMG_6242.PNG
IMG_6243.PNG

Last edited:

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man, sounds like fun stuff. Actually, I like doing projects that saves hunerds if not thousants of dollars. It’s how I justify my other hobby’s...
Most definitely! The only way I can afford to buy more stuff is to do most of my own repairs. My wife even slid under the truck with me on the spare creeper.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no mechanic, but I really like wrenching on my own cars. I figured I'll either save a bunch of money by fixing it, or can't and have to pay anyway. Luckily, I haven't run across something I couldn't tackle yet. Wheel bearings suck. Torsion bar replacement sucks. Rear mains suck. But I can't imagine the labor I saved on all of it. Of course, all that saved money ended up becoming tools, but they've paid for themselves I suppose.

Kudos for tackling it yourself. The world doesn't have enough of that these days.

Cowcatcher

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm no mechanic, but I really like wrenching on my own cars. I figured I'll either save a bunch of money by fixing it, or can't and have to pay anyway. Luckily, I haven't run across something I couldn't tackle yet. Wheel bearings suck. Torsion bar replacement sucks. Rear mains suck. But I can't imagine the labor I saved on all of it. Of course, all that saved money ended up becoming tools, but they've paid for themselves I suppose.

Kudos for tackling it yourself. The world doesn't have enough of that these days.
Yup. I got the new scope camera thing this time. This thang is handy. I've almost got my daughters convinced I can use it for dentistry.
IMG_6195.JPG

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I like axles, gears, transmissions, transfer cases, etc. Rebuilding those I enjoy, tearing into engines isn't my thing though. Working on them is fine, I'll pass on the rebuilding part though.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love the ending, and yup fixing chit to save big $$ is the way we roll.. Saved myself many a $$, Youtube often plays part too on the automotive fixes.. I need to hone my butchering skills, that's an area where I see saving $$.. And yet comes another funny ^^ nice camera scope.. MAYBE you can do some preg checking with it too, LOL..

Latest posts

Top Bottom