Workin on chit thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll admit I don't tear into much. Bolt off/on I can do. Shocks, spark plugs, etc. I did put a lift on my Jeep and my Dodge truck (okay that one was a front leveling kit) when I owned them. But a friend of mine (a rancher at that) told me once: "If you think paying to do it right is expensive, think how much it costs to have it done wrong." So I've learned to know my limitations.

Example: I don't patch my own tires. I got a guy in east Tulsa that'll patch anything for $10; he doesn't even care which row of tread the nail is in. Does it while I wait, never had one fail. Lupita's has never done me wrong.

I do like working on my bicycles though. All pretty much exposed and easy to access. Though parts are often more than car parts LOL. And I will fix appliances. Inlet valve on my dad's washer. Fan motor on my refrigerator, bake element on my range. The labor on that stuff is almost criminally high but hey. I'd charge it too if people would pay me.

Next project I'll look for pics.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love the ending, and yup fixing chit to save big $$ is the way we roll.. Saved myself many a $$, Youtube often plays part too on the automotive fixes.. I need to hone my butchering skills, that's an area where I see saving $$.. And yet comes another funny ^^ nice camera scope.. MAYBE you can do some preg checking with it too, LOL..
I probably wouldn't tackle many projects without YouTube. I've got a buddy that's worked on about everything in the world and will help me with anything or talk me through it on the phone but actually watching it happen on YouTube really boosts my confidence. I watched a few videos on this t-case and the one that I probably learned the most from was titled "how NOT to put a 271d together". The poor fella probably made 5 or 6 mistakes but those mistakes have lessons in them.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh man, sounds like fun stuff. Actually, I like doing projects that saves hunerds if not thousants of dollars. It’s how I justify my other hobby’s...

Same here. Before getting sick I rebuilt our dryer and replaced the dip tube in our hot water tank. Saved a bunch. Now I am doing good to build a 5 ft lighted cross for a Christmas decoration. The other day the wife even told me that I did not have permission to hang a few Christmas lights on the eves. Then the silly woman went back into the house. I gave myself permission and did it anyway. I will admit going up a ladder, even just a couple of steps with an O2 tank shifting your balance is interesting. :P :P :P

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those New Process Gear transfer cases have alway had issues.
They are used on Ford as well. My 83 extended cab 4X4 back in the day would vibrate the shifter lever at high speed when exceeding 55 mph.
Slow down to about 30 and it would quit until getting back up to 55 mph.
It was under warranty back then. Dealer service writer told me the fix was to just to not drive over 55.
Call to the dealer owner got it into the shop about three times with the issue never being resolved.
They totally rebuilt it each time. When asked if they had replaced the shift lever and forks they said no and were in spec for the reason why.
A long phone call to the district office of Ford in Dallas did get results.
Guess what it was...... shift forks out of spec.
Rebuilt a ton of Ford 3 speed manual transmissions and Y block Ford engines back in the day. (Y block not a typo)If it wasn’t for salvage yards and used parts I’d be wearing out shoe leather vs driving.

Last edited:

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Repairing mechanical problems on vehicles or appliances will indeed save quite a bit of scratch. Many of those repairs are relatively straightforward, at least once access is gained; transfer cases bring an excellent example.
I have tackled many repairs, where even after purchasing the requisite tools I saved big bucks.

Sometimes the biggest requirement is enough intestinal fortitude to open up the problem area.

The problem starts , at least for me, with electrical glitches.
I've been wrassling an intermittent problem with an engine monitoring system on my Dodge Cummins pickup.
The match continues, but the pickup has me 2 falls to nothing so far.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom