Working around Tinnitus at 75yo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am an older guy and have had ringing in my ears for years caused by being around loud noises all my life. Dirt bikes, race cars, shooting, aircraft engines, construction equipment, live music, etc. Most of all this before hearing protection was something given much thought.

I wake up in the mornings with a little ringing in both ears, but spend most of my day listening to TV, videos or music on my computer, being on the phone, or talking on ham radio on and off most days and evenings. As the day progresses my ringing increases, so I wind up turning up the volume, as the ringing again increases after a while, I turn the volume up more, a vicious circle. By evening I have mostly ringing noise and not much enjoyment of what I would like to or need to be hearing. I tried hearing aids and had the same negative results.

I ran across an add on some site and got to thinking I would try something different and ordered an inexpensive $32 "Bone Conduction Earphone" from Amazon which was delivered a couple days ago. I already had a little rechargeable Blue Tooth transmitter I can plug into my TV, computer, and speaker jack on my ham radio equipment. I just move it around to where I am going to listen, mute or turn down low other items if I am not listening. This earphone will also BT connect to my cell phone for calls. I live by my self most of the time so no one else has the volume turned up on anything else around me most of the time.

For me this has been totally amazing. My ringing for the past two nights is not much more than it normally is in the mornings when I wake up. I sat out on my deck a few minutes yesterday afternoon and could hear the birds chirping and a car drive by though my ringing noise like I could only do first thing in the mornings in the past. I had a heavy evening on ham radio last night for several hours where my volume control usually winds up almost full by the end of the evening and last night I was turning my volume down a couple times because I did not need it that loud.

Nope I am not a doctor, and not promoting any particular product. I can only share my results of what is working for me and my ears situation after only a couple days. Anyone else's results might vary, but so far I can only see it as a big game changer for me and my daily life.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@p238shooter glad you are getting some relief.

I've had pretty loud tinnitus in both ears for so many years I can't even remember when it first started......couple that with having to wear VA supplied hearing aids to hear even without tinnitus means my hearing is pretty bad.

My audiologist and ENT doc both also have tinnitus and each one told me what we all already know and that is there is no cure and if there was they'd have already fixed theirs......sadly it's something that those of us that have it just have to deal with the best way we can.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@p238shooter glad you are getting some relief.

I've had pretty loud tinnitus in both ears for so many years I can't even remember when it first started......couple that with having to wear VA supplied hearing aids to hear even without tinnitus means my hearing is pretty bad.

My audiologist and ENT doc both also have tinnitus and each one told me what we all already know and that is there is no cure and if there was they'd have already fixed theirs......sadly it's something that those of us that have it just have to deal with the best way we can.
I can’t remember when I didn’t have tinnitus/LOUD ringing, that switches tones at different intervals… kind of gotten used to it.. unfortunately- Good luck to all who find relief in some way.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad it works for you.

My tinnitus is just in left year. Caused by lower wisdom tooth coming in angled. Requires serious surgery and breaking jaw to get tooth out.

I have lived with for 25 years. IF it gets serious, I may consider it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom