Working around Tinnitus at 75yo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ever noticed when someone brings up tinnitus, it gets louder.

Is your arthritis ok now? Are you sleepy? Te wife asks me when I don't notice and when she asks my arthritis hurts and I'm sleepy. Other wise I ignore it and have no problems as a rule.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've have tennitus since my time in the Army. Bad enough that it affected my sleeping for a long time which caused other issues.
I fought hearing aids forever until about 15 years ago and finally gave it up as the hearing kept going downhill.
Got great help from the VA in OKC with the audiologist that really cared about the hearing issues.
The tinnitus is still there but highly mitigated by the aids during the day. At night, I've managed to become accustomed to the high frequency and focus on it mentally to go to sleep.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father suffered from tinnitus from about 60 yo & lived into his mid 90’s. Worked in the ship engine rooms in WW2 Pacific theater. Over 100 decibels. They didn’t have ear protection in the 40’s. He was a MM1c rate. Tinnitus & deafness was his biggest complaint. It never went away. I wish he had some treatment for it.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to be sure everyone here has read what I have said like I intended to project it. My experience is that I wake up with ringing in my ears. As the day progresses with my normal sounds, TV, computer stuff, ,music, ham radio, etc. my ringing volume increases. Because of that I turn my device volumes up to hear through the ear ringing noise many times a day and at the end of the day my ear ringing has increased a great deal and I was unable to hear quieter sounds that I could hear through some ringing in the morning after my ears had "rested" with quiet time during the night.

In no way was I saying it reduced the ringing noise I had in the mornings when I woke up, but it has tremendously reduced the increasing of that ringing noise during my day.

This is just my experience. Yours may vary. I have just been on ham radio for over two hours this evening which would normally have me turning up my radio volume several times to hear through the increasing ear noise ringing volume. That did not happen using this device this evening, my ear noise level is pretty close to what it was this morning instead of feeling like my ears are stuffed with cotton in a windstorm.

It has certainly been worth the less than $35 experiment to see if it might work or not for me. I have already ordered a second pair for a backup in case of failure or while charging a battery if needed. I might look at what might be a more rugged quality later, but for now this model will work for me.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Usually there is enough background noise that I don't notice the T during the day. It's at night I notice it when it is quite. Really makes me mad when I am trying to hear low sounds and the ringing drowns it out. Very difficult to judge sound direction.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to leave the TV on w/sleep timer set so ther is some background noise to oversome the tinnitus sounds. A white noise generator would probably work better, maybe even leave it on all night. I'm going to try that.
I've noticed too that if I skip wearing the hearing aids for a few days the tinnitus becomes really annoying and that it takes a few days of wearing the hearing aids to suppress it again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom