Working up loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been reloading about 8 months now and always trying new loads. I've got a few loads that I really like but I like to experiment. When I try new loads I run about 20 or 30 and go shoot them. My question is when you guys try new loads do you start with an absolutely clean barrel or does it matter much? Thanks for any reply.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try and run a wipe down the barrel every now and then on my rifles but that is it. Then again... I try and use pretty clean powders like Benchmark

458 SOCOM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on Tyromeo advice of clean powders. However if you are using a powder hat runs a little dirty, it would be best to at least run a patch down the barrel. This way you can compare evenly.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on what you are trying to do. A long range bolt gun is alot different than a 1911 for example. Every barrel is different too. If you are using jacketed bullets some barrels like just a bit of fouling. And most people don't get it all out when cleaning anyway. Are you tuning a hunting load for a bolt gun? If so you want to find a combination that gives you the best cold bore accuracy since each shot is a cold bore shot (unless you miss your 1st shot). That means meticulous cleaning. If you are shooting strings in highpower competition your cleaning regimen will be different. It's just going to take some experimentation to find what your barrel is going to require. Keep it clean and get a good load worked up. Then your barrel will tell you what it wants. There's a bunch of variables on finding the ultimate accuracy from any individual gun, and finding them out is half the fun.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever you do, do it the same. I prefer a clean barrel at all times when I am testing loads, but don't shoot some with a clean barrel and others dirty. Keep it consistant.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm really comparing ballistics I load several different loads.
Like 6 with 3.2 grs, 6 with 3.4 grs, 6 with 3.6 grs, etc.
Then I'll start with a clean barrel for each load, every 6 rounds.
I record data for each shot in the series and compare from there.
Really depends on what I'm reloading and it's intended purpose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom