Working with the 25

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnston

Marksman
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,
A while back I put all my financial eggs in one basket and came into a S&W model 25-9. The -9 minimized the chances of oversized throats and a few other internal issues of older models, and predates the side lock, which is always a plus.
Initially I had to have the revolver sent off to a master smith to align the barrel, as it was slightly over-torqued. Featuring stock, classic target grips, I’ve since had them replaced by a set of giraffe bone grips accented by a stainless Tyler T.
After much frustration and use of now coveted implements, I’ve received much satisfaction out of a 255gr Hornady xtp with a little over 18gr 2400. I’ve been using mag primers, but I think standard may be the way to go, pending further tests. Groups tighten to less than an inch at 15 yards offhand standing, and marginally widen at 25, but very little.
I’ve been testing a few homemade shucks for it, and have yet to settle on a good working rig, but the process has been satisfying.
I’ve worked with this pistol for over a year before using it as my work rig, and while there is still significant work to do, I believe we’re on the right track. It would be very satisfying to find a lead bullet that will work as well as the xtps.
QbXdhQ1.jpg
UTBnMpG.jpg
vDrCfkD.jpg

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just about my favorite caliber. That is a very nice gun you have there. If you want to age those grips (stag, and GB), pm me and I will tell you how. It is very easy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom