Workshop/garage storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could use some pointers, ideas, or anything really. I have more tools than space. After turning wrenches on heavy equipment for 14 years I have everything from 1/4” wrenches all the way up to 2 1/2, and 1/4” drive sockets all the way up to 1”. And all kinds of other crap, kits, power tools, etc. while I lost my job last year and am in the process of making a career change to get away from manual labor, I can’t justify getting rid of anything, it all cost me entirely too much money that I won’t see when reselling. These tools will likely prove themselves to be useful in the future anyways, and will be passed down to my kids. Between those tools, my woodworking stuff, and everything else, I have 18 feet of tool boxes packed to the point where nothing can be organized, and still have tools on top of said boxes. Top that off with a table saw, chop saw, sanders, and a planer..... I’m drowning in this stuff. It’s also all crammed into my two car garage. I actually just won it back into having enough space to walk in there while the old lady’s car is parked in there. I’ll post some pics when I get home, but I could really use some tips in regards to storage. A full blown 40x80 shop is in the cards in a few years, but right now this is what I’m stuck with. Soon we’re downsizing and moving into the 2 car garage rent house, and renting out the current house, so getting this under control is even more important.
Having all those tools seems like a really good problem to have.....I don't have anywhere near what you have and it would cost a fortune to have 18 feet of tool boxes crammed full and over flowing. It really sound like you could use a cargo shipping container...A 20' would let you organize all your tools on racks if they won't all fit into your tool boxes. The problem is where to put a 20' container....good luck with your problem.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have spent the last 10 years downsizing and making my life simpler. I guess the high point for me was I was standing in the driveway and I I count something like 49 tires and 15 batteries I had to upkeep and maintain just on machinery and toys i had, That alone will cost you a pretty good annual bill not to mention tags and insurance. Car, two diesel trucks, 3 Lincoln pipeliner welders, 2 campers, boat, 2 riding mower, 4 wheeler, tiller, bobcat, tractor,chainsaws, weed eaters, leaf blowers, wheel barrow on and on.

Do I still have a mess, Absolutely. Do I miss all the other junk? Not really. Consumerism in America can be like a disease. I find myself all the time now trying to figure out how to do something without buying something or some special tool. You would be amazed what you can Mcgyver and work around. For instance I surfaced a head by gluing wet or dry sheets to a glass table top and pulling the head back and forth. Perfect and holds a gasket now.

I am loving it. I can still remember having to work on something just so I can work on something all the time. My Grandad told me once that modern man has to much machinery to keep running. He was right.

I am loving the freedom from it all and a less cluttered lifestyle. Still have some to go to get to Bliss stage. done with the driveway and halfway through the garage and 400ft of storage behind that. I'm going to start on half this crap inside the house next too. I look at those garages and feel absolutely zero envy for you. And don't call me to help you move. LOL

Last edited:

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did the same thing. Was field service and then hard down for 3 states working on heavy equipment. When I left that line of work I laid everything out in my shop floor and chose what to keep and what to send. Its hard but I really didnt need 4 sets of everything. I am much happier now with the extra space.

Latest posts

Top Bottom