Workshop/garage storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could use some pointers, ideas, or anything really. I have more tools than space. After turning wrenches on heavy equipment for 14 years I have everything from 1/4” wrenches all the way up to 2 1/2, and 1/4” drive sockets all the way up to 1”. And all kinds of other crap, kits, power tools, etc. while I lost my job last year and am in the process of making a career change to get away from manual labor, I can’t justify getting rid of anything, it all cost me entirely too much money that I won’t see when reselling. These tools will likely prove themselves to be useful in the future anyways, and will be passed down to my kids. Between those tools, my woodworking stuff, and everything else, I have 18 feet of tool boxes packed to the point where nothing can be organized, and still have tools on top of said boxes. Top that off with a table saw, chop saw, sanders, and a planer..... I’m drowning in this stuff. It’s also all crammed into my two car garage. I actually just won it back into having enough space to walk in there while the old lady’s car is parked in there. I’ll post some pics when I get home, but I could really use some tips in regards to storage. A full blown 40x80 shop is in the cards in a few years, but right now this is what I’m stuck with. Soon we’re downsizing and moving into the 2 car garage rent house, and renting out the current house, so getting this under control is even more important.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We just downsized after 22 years. Went from a big corner lot with 4 bedrooms and a 3 car garage. My ‘office’ had all my gun stuff in it. My garage was oversized even for a 3 car. I had plenty of room. I rented a storage unit and all of my hunting, reloading and most of my tools are there. Going to do a decent size shed in the backyard for my new place

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biggest space taker upper I have ever found was the same item stored in 10 different places. If you have a buch of bolts and screws sort them out and store like items in the same place. Don't have 3 inch screws here and over there and in that drawer and some in a new box you just bought because you couldn't find the ones you just knew you had over here and over there and in that drawer.
Keep all tools in the same area/toolbox too. Not like me with four tool boxes.
BTW I thought I saw a sign that CAT down on Reno was hiring mechanics.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saved a lot of space going to drawers and losing all the cabinets. My single car garage has a total of 6 of those big metal husky shelves they sell at Lowe’s. Three on each side. Small stuff I keep in those dewalt tough box organizers. I have 16 or so. Need to label them on the outside

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Ceiling to floor shelves and use the attic for the items you use every blue moon . Inventory list and location. Be anal about making sure you put it back where it goes or lose sleep trying to remember WTH you did with it !! Had a Buck 110 I "lost" in a rarely used box on the top shelf!! Not even sure why I would have put it in that box so I ass-u-me I knocked it off the bench into the box and put it away !! :cool: It did make my day when I found it. :woohoo1:

Latest posts

Top Bottom