World’s largest airplane. It’s being built by a billionaire. It’s getting ready to fly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Duz yuz thinks that Ivan, not to be out dunsky, woulda put tuz of deez tugetter to make a bigger/better Stratolauncher?????????????

One of those planes was at the OKC airshow several years back. The same year the stunt pilot had a heart attack in flight, and flew into the ground.

Last edited:

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One if those planes was at the OKC airshow several years back. The same year the stunt pilot had a heart attack in flight, and flew into the ground.

Oklahoma City air show "Aerospace America", June 17, 1990, piloted by aerobatic champion Tom Jones, killed in a low altitude stall. I was visiting my uncle in the hospital and remembered looking out the window and saw the smoke coming from Will Rogers World Airport.

http://newsok.com/article/2321139
Aerobatics Champ Killed in Air Show Plunge
James Johnson Published: June 18, 1990 12:00 AM CDT Updated: June 18, 1990 12:00 AM CDT

Last edited:

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somewhere around 15 years ago one of the Antonovs was in Tulsa to pick up a piece of oilfield equipment from a company one of my employee's dad worked for. Some kind of monster compressor assembly mounted on a steel skid that cleared the entry way only by about two feet. They made a just after dawn takeoff and cleared the outer boundary fence close to where we were viewing by no more than 20ft as planned on the south end of 36R. Before seeing that I thought a 747 or a C-5 was big, no comparison.

This new plane must really be impressive to even walk around. Thanks for sharing.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of those planes was at the OKC airshow several years back. The same year the stunt pilot had a heart attack in flight, and flew into the ground.
I was at that show. Sad deal.

The AN225 did take off and it looked like it wouldn't make it into the air. Looked to be barely moving. It's huge size skews it's visual perspective. It got towards the end of the runway and crawled into the air and made a pretty hard bank. Totally freaky.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was at that show. Sad deal.

The AN225 did take off and it looked like it wouldn't make it into the air. Looked to be barely moving. It's huge size skews it's visual perspective. It got towards the end of the runway and crawled into the air and made a pretty hard bank. Totally freaky.
We were there on Saturday, and the accident was on Sunday if I remember right. We sw the AN115 land and it taxi'd with the wings over the crowd to where it was going on display. Huge aircraft.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was there and saw it happen. I was in the Air National Guard in the Security Police. I was helping with scene control.

Here is what NTSB had to say about it the crash.

https://ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/Results.aspx?queryId=b967fce3-7edf-48c3-ac56-ed660e00b420

I also took a report of a stolen Chevy Camaro the day the Big Bird left. A Chevrolet dealership provided cars for VIP’s and pilots to use during the Airshow every year. ALL of them had the Oklahoma personalized tag “AIRSHOW” on them. It was common knowledge that the tags disappeared as collectors items every year, but not a whole car. After Big Bird left several people told us that it was onboard.

To my knowledge it was never recovered.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom