Worming deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm, this sounds interesting. I think though with the deer on 3 days of medicated feed this may be faster. I will look into the block. Does Tractor Supply or Atwood's have it?

I put out 6 of the Safeguard blocks this week and got them at Atwoods, but I'm almost positive I've seen them at Tractor Supply too.

After thinking about it awhile, I'm pretty sure I've seen the Safeguard in pellet form too, but I've never used it that way.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I will go by and check at Tractor Supply and see if they have any. If they have it in pellet form then a maple syrup bath might make the kids have to have some. Hoof lickin good. lol

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No i did not take any pics. Tonight I went out at dusk to pour out the feed and the deer were in the matured oats eating something or bedded down. I poured the feed in the trough, sprayed approx 1 1/2 ounces of the Ivomec and stirred it well. I added approx 8 ozs of syrup over a gallon of feed and stirred well to get everything coated. I started whistling and banging the feed bucket while I walked back into the house. 2 deer RAN in from the field and waited for everything to settle down. It was dark by that time and more deer started filtering in. They appeared to be so hungry that they were competing for a position at the trough. Who said deer are not trainable? These are free ranging deer and not penned. Several OSA members know the site and have watched the deer take their turn at the trough. Tomorrow I will watch them thru my binos to see if there is a change in the number of ticks on 2 deer in particular. These deer like the syrup so well, it seems, that the trough looks like it has been hand washed with soap. Tonight was the first time I saw visible proof how stressed or hungry these deer are in this drought. It saddened me to see the animals really competing for something to eat. The VitlMax is 20% protein plus vitamins,minerals and an additive for heat stress. In talking with various deer feed manufacturers and reading the label on every brand of deer feed on the market that I can find,NO ONE advertises the additive to help with heat stress. I have known this manufacturer personally for 4-5 years and he is passionate about putting the best feed on the market.

Latest posts

Top Bottom