Worming deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now we are farming deer just like cattle? LOL just kidding, kinda......i"m not sure how I feel about this, they are wild animals, they have been dealing with ticks their whole lives, I'm gonna leave mine be, I think there is such a thing as trying to over manage wildlife, they are not domestic animals, they are good food, but doing too much ruins all the fun of hunting to me. With that said, I've seen your yard deer and I like them alot too. Your Creekwood spot is more of a research area, which is awesome.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sticky - You have known me for several years and you know how passionate I am about things that I do. The idea was born out of frustration watching these deer suffering a week ago last Saturday when you were at my hunter education class. I saw one of my does with a bloodied face due to an excessive amount of ticks around her eyes, ears and neck. I knew that something had to be done to reduce the stress of dealing with these parasites. The heat is stressing the deer enough with their food sources dehydrating and the protein dropping and now ticks being added to them. Yes, deer deal with ticks by just toughing it out because they have no other option. I agree with you about over managing wildlife. Ivomec has a 48 day withdrawal period on cattle. I assume that deer should be close to that too. Today or tomorrow I will discontinue the treatment and monitor the herd. I do not want to ruin the fun of hunting these amazing creatures. Yes, I agree that Creekwood is kind of a research area born out of my lifelong passion for deer. The farm is not much different only on a greater scale.
My passion inspired me to do something about this issue and I knew enough as to what to do. I just had to figure out how. My deer feed manufacturer helped and my Vet friend from days at OSU sealed the deal. My passion made this happen. You are a better deer manager and hunter for knowing me and working together on your two properties. You now have more animals on the properties and realizing that you had older deer than before.;) We STILL need to hunt your bucket list property with me this Fall. We also need to expand your east property further this Fall. I will help as I always have. Be good. :)

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at my doe with the most ticks a few minutes ago and could not tell if she may on her eye brows. That is a good thing. Her fawn did not appear to have any from my distance. Junior, a young buck that allows me to get within 20 feet of him seems to have alot less on him too. I am suspending my treatment for now and wait 30 days. I have 2ounces left, if need be, that I can use to kill any new ticks. My cost per day to feed approx 800 pounds of deer was around $8-10.50/day. That is a good cost/benefit ratio.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DS,
I completely get what you're trying to do and think it's an admirable endeavor, but I also get what Sticky is saying and am tending to lean more that direction.

If it were penned deer, I'd be all about worming and vaccinating like I do my cattle, but I can't justify the expense so my neighbors can kill healthier deer..

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with both of you except that the likelihood of the neighbors killing my deer is slim. I can't justify the expense either but its only $35.00 and it is worth it to me so I do not have to see these animals suffering. The 3 does have all cycled in this afternoon and you can see the visible improvement in the deer's heads and necks. They were very relaxed and not constantly swatting flies. The reduced stress can equate to better gains I think.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with both of you except that the likelihood of the neighbors killing my deer is slim. I can't justify the expense either but its only $35.00 and it is worth it to me so I do not have to see these animals suffering. The 3 does have all cycled in this afternoon and you can see the visible improvement in the deer's heads and necks. They were very relaxed and not constantly swatting flies. The reduced stress can equate to better gains I think.

Really glad to hear you're seeing positive results.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
5 bucks,my 3 does, and 2 of the 4 fawns came in tonight to feed. I got a good look at the 2 does that had the largest number of ticks around their eyes, ears and foreheads. There is no question that the one with the ticks around her eye lids are now clear of ticks. The doe with the ticks clustered in the middle of her forehead is clear of ticks and the spot has scabbed over. In contrast, a new young spike that showed up has some ticks and was, of course , nervous.
I feel better that I have reduced the stress on these deer so they can have better weight gain and be a better quality animal for insignificant amount of money. I will use this again in the future. The feed that is going into these deer contain a compound that improves blood circulation which increases the heat being dispersed from their bodies and assist them with the heat stress they experience during the summer.
Some people might question this, but I know the compound and I know it works. My .02.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5 bucks,my 3 does, and 2 of the 4 fawns came in tonight to feed. I got a good look at the 2 does that had the largest number of ticks around their eyes, ears and foreheads. There is no question that the one with the ticks around her eye lids are now clear of ticks. The doe with the ticks clustered in the middle of her forehead is clear of ticks and the spot has scabbed over. In contrast, a new young spike that showed up has some ticks and was, of course , nervous.
I feel better that I have reduced the stress on these deer so they can have better weight gain and be a better quality animal for insignificant amount of money. I will use this again in the future. The feed that is going into these deer contain a compound that improves blood circulation which increases the heat being dispersed from their bodies and assist them with the heat stress they experience during the summer.
Some people might question this, but I know the compound and I know it works. My .02.
Its like watering and putting pesticides on your garden lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom