Would an Iowa-class battleship have survived Pearl Harbor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the USS New Jersey museum.

Interesting that they think the WWII-era New Jersey might actually do better than the '80s-era New Jersey.

@RickN , this seems to be right up your alley.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never thought about that. Sorry I could not watch but about 5 minutes of the video. The guy keeps looking like he is going to be sick and I am dealing with an upset stomach tonight. To many antibiotics the last few days.

As far as the ship surviving Pearl, probably unless if took one down a funnel or something. I do believe they removed some ship protection when they overhauled them but I am not positive, so they may be right about the older version surviving better.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never thought about that. Sorry I could not watch but about 5 minutes of the video. The guy keeps looking like he is going to be sick and I am dealing with an upset stomach tonight. To many antibiotics the last few days.
Yeah, they didn't do a very good job of setting up his shot in that video. He doesn't look that rough in the videos he does from aboard the New Jersey.

I hear you on the antibiotics. When I had pneumonia, the antibiotics they gave me did a number on my gut. It was several weeks before I felt confident enough to fart while standing.
As far as the ship surviving Pearl, probably unless if took one down a funnel or something. I do believe they removed some ship protection when they overhauled them but I am not positive, so they may be right about the older version surviving better.
It was mostly because of the changes in armaments. The AA on the WWII version was better suited for the task; although the Phalanx system could shoot down more planes, they didn't have the guns to throw up the flak to discourage the Jap pilots from coming in at her. He also said the Phalanx system is susceptible to swarming attacks like they saw at Pearl because they can only keep up the fire for about a minute and a half before the guns run dry and have to be reloaded.

I guess they just weren't worried about getting attacked by 300+ aircraft in the '80s...

Latest posts

Top Bottom