1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Would this be a SBS or AOW?

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by Big-Tex, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Big-Tex

Big-Tex Sharpshooter

I would like to buy a coach gun in .20 ga and cut barrel off very short and cut the stock to a pistol grip.

Would that be a short barrel shot gun or an any other weapon? If it's going to be a SBS I'd rather keep the stock an have the ability to shoulder it, but for the stamp tax savings I would prefer to make it a AOW.

Thanks

Justin

2. ssgrock3

ssgrock3 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    can't be a aow cause it came with a stock to begin with, the way I understand it.

3. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Correct, it would have to be registered as an SBS not an AOW because it was a shotgun with a stock. Also, AOW's cost $200 to make on a Form 1 for non-licensed manufacturers (you, unless you have an 07/02 FFL/SOT). They only transfer to subsequent owners for $5 on a Form 4, so you would not be saving any money even if you could do it.

4. Big-Tex

Big-Tex Sharpshooter

What if I just wanted to put a 14" barrel on my 870? Could I get the stamp and have the receiver engraved then be able to use a 14" and 28" (or any where in between) barrel interchangeably?

5. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Sure can. That is exactly what I did with my 870. Here is my 870 SBS with a factory 14" barrel.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v389_CAR_AR_M16_Remington870.jpg

6. Big-Tex

Big-Tex Sharpshooter

That's awesome. Thanks for the quick responses. Now to save a little money and tacti-coolize my 870.

7. ssgrock3

ssgrock3 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Is chopping of 4" of barrel worth what you gain? What do you gain, besides mega cool points? Now a 12" double barel aow would be incredibly devastating at close quarters as well as ur 14".

8. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I guess it depends on your definition of "worth it". It was to me. It is much easier to manuver in a narrow hallway or get out of a vehicle with. Look how many guys think there is a world of difference between a 14.5" vs. 16" AR and that is only 1.5"

If it is a very short package you are looking for, I would rather have a 5 shot 12.5" 870 with Birdshead grip over a 2 shot 12" double barrel. Here is a pic of an AOW 870 I used to have (it was built on a virgin 870 receiver by Scattergun Technologies which is why it could be an AOW).

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v389_CAR_AR_M16_870AOW.jpg

9. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If you want just an AOW, a way to save money would be to have an 07/02 FFL manufacture an AOW for you with a virgin receiver. Then the transfer would only be $5.00. The 07/02 doesn't have to pay the $200.00 "making" fee.

If it's registered as an AOW, it can not have a buttstock. As an SBS you can have whatever you want.

For me, I'd rather pay the $200.00 and register it as a SBS. That way you could put any size barrel or stock you wanted on it and switch back and forth whenever I wanted to and not have to worry about it.

10. Big-Tex

Big-Tex Sharpshooter

Personally I think it is well worth it. I would most likely run a 12" barrel on mine. That's a 6" savings, which is fairly significant.