Would you bet your life on a Kel Tec?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you bet your life on a Kel Tec

• Absoutley

Votes: 31 18.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 77 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 62 36.0%
  • I would rather have a pocket full of rocks

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NO... had a P3AT that jammed from the get go ... sold it with the warning it needed a fluff and buff to make reliable. 340PD is what I depend on ... only get five, but it goes bang each and every time.

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never had any experience with one personally but.....about 2 weeks ago I had the priveledge of visiting with a OHP officer for a short time on the side of the road. I did exactly as I was supposed to and informed him immediatly of my CCL and being armed. No issues what so ever.
Upon returning to my vehicle and a little small talk, he inquired as to what I was carrying. I told him it was my Kahr PM9. His exact reply was "good, at least its not a POS Keltec"

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
even though my experience with Keltec P3AT has not been good.
with a proper fluff and buff, followed by shooting 200+ rounds of what I was carrying.
I'd trust it ... but no way a dead stock P3AT

my former P3AT was purchased from a friend that claimed it was dead reliable.
so I proceeded to shoot a few rounds. first mag went without a glitch. second and third mag both jammed.

turned out my friend had only shot ONE magazine total in the new P3AT with no problems. so based on that he thought it was reliable????

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. I had a P-11, and the trigger reset was so long I was affraid that I wouldn't be able to get a second shot off in an emergency. Sold it and got a Kahr CW9 and have been much happier with the trigger on it. Only put a few mags through the KT and it seemed to shoot ok, but with the chintzy plastic sights and the awful trigger I didn't expect much from it.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The P-11 I purchased was used. It never malfunctioned for me. It had a rough feel, and a stiff trigger, but the bullets always came out and hit the general area I was aiming at on the paper. It functioned fine for what it was designed for. It's not a target pistol by any means, but it killed all the paper I shot at, so I have to believe it would work on bad guys too. I traded it off, but I only paid $225 for it, and would spend that much again if another one came along.

It is what it is; an inexpensive hole puncher. I don't trust any gun (with a slide) that I haven't put several hundred rounds through. All machines are capable of malfunction. If you have one, spend a couple of $$$ and put some rounds through it.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It seems that most of the people complaining about them either have not shot one, or bought one new and and only shot it very little. I have to admit, mine everything was very stiff when it was new and I couldn't hit anything with that trigger, but after putting in some good range time I can hit a man sized target at 20-25 yds everytime. It is what it is a cheap pistol that gets the job done. As long as mine is clean I have no trouble with it. In fact, I have had several guns that were not nearly as inexpensive as my Kel-Tec, that were not half as reliable as my Kel-Tec.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found that mine shot surprisingly well, when it shot. It was easy to keep all the rounds in the vital zone at 10 yards or so, when it shot.

I think me next experiment with this kind of gun will be a Kahr P380.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't read all previous posts so this may be reiterating points already made but I wouldn't make a blanket statement that I would trust my life to any gun by any mfg without shooting it for recreation first for long enough to convince myself it will function properly when I need it to. I wouldn't trust Sig Sauer, Springfield Armory, Glock, or any other highly regarded mfg until shooting the gun long enough to satisfy myself it functions properly. If I can put 200 rounds through it with minimal hiccups, and they are merely hiccups that are common failures cleared easily, I would trust it. Another thing to consider is mags are more often than not the culprit, not the firearm itself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom