Would you bet your life on a Kel Tec?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you bet your life on a Kel Tec

• Absoutley

Votes: 31 18.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 77 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 62 36.0%
  • I would rather have a pocket full of rocks

Votes: 8 4.7%

• Total voters

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't read all previous posts so this may be reiterating points already made but I wouldn't make a blanket statement that I would trust my life to any gun by any mfg without shooting it for recreation first for long enough to convince myself it will function properly when I need it to. I wouldn't trust Sig Sauer, Springfield Armory, Glock, or any other highly regarded mfg until shooting the gun long enough to satisfy myself it functions properly. If I can put 200 rounds through it with minimal hiccups, and they are merely hiccups that are common failures cleared easily, I would trust it. Another thing to consider is mags are more often than not the culprit, not the firearm itself.

Good point, I'd bet my life on MY Kel-Tec

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
amazing... about 33% of poll would not trust a Keltec
below is a link to instructions for a Keltec fluff and buff

-----------------

Kel-Tec Fluff and Buff
by Chandler Bates III

A few KT's do not work real well right out of the box. This happens with other modern, light, compact weapons also. Malfunctions discourage owners from depending on weapons. However, the design and other characteristics of the Kel-Tec � the reasons you bought it in the first place � are excellent, so you need to give the gun its best shot at pleasing (protecting) you. Performing the following "Fluff and Buff" procedures, then lubricating correctly, before you ever fire your gun, will increase your chances of having a really good running gun right from your first experience.

Check out the following URL's at the Kel-Tec Owners Group web site for suggestions on disassembly/assembly and more specific instructions for individual procedures. Working on the KT's is a joy. They are really fairly simple for the mechanically minded, handy people. Having the right tools and supplies helps, of course. These include:

http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks10.htm

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think as with anything it depends on the weapon as long as it doesn't have some known failure point inherant to it's design.. Kel-Tec might come close though because the ramp is so dadgum steep and it's known to give some ammo fits on feeding. As long as I had fired it a bunch (with the ammo I intended to carry with) and ensured it was buffed a little and maybe the ramp polished some then I'd be ok with it when it's necessary to have a super slim concealable .380. I might be a little old school but in most cases where I can't carry a .45 though, I'd probably rather have a j frame as long as I'm able to conceal it... they go bang all 5 times no issues.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't own a Kel-Tec, but I voted yes. My LCP is really no different or any less reliable than a p3at.

My Kel-Tec pistol would have to be a .380 or 9mm though. I would not carry a .32 ACP or .22 WMR due to their being semi-rimmed and rimmed/rimfire, respectively. Those don't help auto-loaders very much.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
amazing... about 33% of poll would not trust a Keltec
below is a link to instructions for a Keltec fluff and buff

-----------------

Kel-Tec Fluff and Buff
by Chandler Bates III

A few KT's do not work real well right out of the box. This happens with other modern, light, compact weapons also. Malfunctions discourage owners from depending on weapons. However, the design and other characteristics of the Kel-Tec � the reasons you bought it in the first place � are excellent, so you need to give the gun its best shot at pleasing (protecting) you. Performing the following "Fluff and Buff" procedures, then lubricating correctly, before you ever fire your gun, will increase your chances of having a really good running gun right from your first experience.

Check out the following URL's at the Kel-Tec Owners Group web site for suggestions on disassembly/assembly and more specific instructions for individual procedures. Working on the KT's is a joy. They are really fairly simple for the mechanically minded, handy people. Having the right tools and supplies helps, of course. These include:

http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks10.htm

So after purchasing your guns you expect it to be standard to need to perform the finishing operations not done at the factory? Okaaaaaay.

If a gun mfg was to say "Here is "Gun A". It is low cost but is so because the finishing operations typically done by most gun mfgs are left for the end user to perform if desired." Then I would see it as being OK as you bought the gun of the understanding it required more work to function properly, and you as the buyer were willing to do that work to save a few bucks. In this economy I certainly don't put it past anyone including myself.

However Keltec doesn't do this. They say "Kel-tec CNC Inc. is committed to the development and production of high performance firearms" taken verbatim from the front page of their website.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So after purchasing your guns you expect it to be standard to need to perform the finishing operations not done at the factory? Okaaaaaay.

If a gun mfg was to say "Here is "Gun A". It is low cost but is so because the finishing operations typically done by most gun mfgs are left for the end user to perform if desired." Then I would see it as being OK as you bought the gun of the understanding it required more work to function properly, and you as the buyer were willing to do that work to save a few bucks. In this economy I certainly don't put it past anyone including myself.

However Keltec doesn't do this. They say "Kel-tec CNC Inc. is committed to the development and production of high performance firearms" taken verbatim from the front page of their website.

I've had two different Kimbers that didn't function reliably out of the box and required a "fluff & buff". One broke a MIM part after only 600 rounds that left the gun a single shot until a replacement part was procured. I've also seen Springfield Armory pistols that wouldn't function at all out of the box. I've seen Smith & Wessons fail and malf when factory fresh. There are even plenty of internet reports on Glock malfunctions. No manufacturer is immune, even some of the more reputable high end manufacturers. It's the responsibility of the owner to ensure the reliability of their individual specimen, to their satisfaction. The manufacturers responsibility is to minimize the rate of failure per thousand and provide a satisfactory warranty service.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my P3AT jammed on me from the get go, but I still don't think anything negative about Keltec. any auto pistol needs shot 200+ rounds of what you are carrying to be considered reliable. not just Keltec...

since I didn't have, inclination to spend that much time/ammo (.380 was scarce) with P3AT ... it had to go. it had under 20 rounds shot when I sold it with the warning it needed a fluff and buff to make reliable.

with such a high percentage of people having a negative view of Keltec's reliability. quite possibly their failure rate per thousand may not be up to par.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My P32 was utterly reliable and accurate. I miss that pistol. I have since replaced it with a P3AT that went away before it ever made it into rotation. Now I am rocking an LCP that has given me no problems at all in any category.

Latest posts

Top Bottom