Would you EDC a Taurus?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope.....even though it seems they have improved over the years. I have only owned a Taurus revolver and had problems.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The thing about Taurus is the resale value. While there are a few that are reliable, the name has been tarnished with poor quality and you will never sell it for what you gave unless you buy it just right. What model particularly are you asking about and of more importance, what year was it made?
I have a .44 mag revolver (Raging bull model in .44) and its my favorite shooter. I paid $350 for it 20 some years ago and I think I could sell it a bit higher because its a wheel gun. The 1911s are well known to snap the ambidextrous safety, other semi auto have their own quirks

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Key point in that post to me is the "I" in the phrase "I can't compromise". I don't know you or your situation so hopefully my assumption here is not incorrect that I bet your situation is better than many folks in our country.

There are a lot of guns that exist because while those of us with lots of disposable dollars can be snobby, not everyone with a need for self-defense can be. In a different time, the first gun I ever bought was a Taurus because that's what I had the dollars for. Now, it was also the first I sold when I could get something better, but again --- I'm in a different position than many people in our country. I've owned a few Taurus guns over the years besides that first one, and never had a problem with them to be honest, and if it was all I had, then I'd feel fine about it.

Taurus is not exactly cranking out the "saturday night specials" of the late 60's here, and while their track record is not perfect, no manufacturer's record is perfect. Even then, one of the reasons that SNSs didn't get screwed up by the GCA68 if memory serves me right is because the court ruled that eliminating affordable guns that could be used as defense weapons by a population without much wealth was illegal. (Interestingly, the first examples of using pricing as a means of prohibition come from the post-Civil War period).

TL/DR: Are they my go to carry? No. Would I if I had no other means or options? Sure.

I own two Taurus pistols, the Beretta 92 copy and a Taurus PT111 G2. Both were recommended to me by gun store owner and one gunsmith. In both cases each person had complete confidence in them. The 92 copy has been around a VERY long time and was built in the Beretta factory Taurus . The PT111gen2 has been universally written about in the last 2+ yrs as a Best Buy and reliable. Both have very nice triggers, both r 9 mm I own fire arms from a few hundred dollars to multiple 1000s of dollars. I don’t own, buy or sell junk. End of story.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned a 809 and 2 738's, just sold a 605 and still have my model 65. Never an issue with any of them.
Seems like this is one area where research is skipped because some guy with a youtube channel said Taurus is crap . All the Taurus I have bought I researched and they all were reliable . I did not by guns that had issues like the PT111 or whatever cause it just had bad reviews............ and that is the exact reason I never bought the Sig 365 when it came out.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Taurus 1911 I got from a member here and I carry it more than any other. Mainly because it is my do everything, go everywhere gun. It’s on my hip in the woods, on the 4 wheeler, on the tractor, etc, but it is also in my truck or on my hip when I run into town. It has always been accurate and dependable, even when I’ve got it covered in chainsaw dust.

I have their 1911 and it has been flawless. I would carry it anytime. Now their polymer ones I'm not so sure of.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember when Kia and Hyundai (as well as Yugo), were the bottom dwellers concerning reliability. Look at 'em now --- both are very near the top of the ratings.

Remember all the crappy old Gold Star electronics? Guess what. That same company is now known as LG. Just goes to show that perceived quality can change upward just as it can go down.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned a 809 and 2 738's, just sold a 605 and still have my model 65. Never an issue with any of them.
Seems like this is one area where research is skipped because some guy with a youtube channel said Taurus is crap . All the Taurus I have bought I researched and they all were reliable . I did not by guns that had issues like the PT111 or whatever cause it just had bad reviews............ and that is the exact reason I never bought the Sig 365 when it came out.

My anecdotal experience has been that most of Taurus pistols that I’ve come across have not been reliable. I’m glad that the one’s you’ve owned have been reliable. You’re right and it behooves a buyer to do their research before buying. Some manufacturers just have a hit or miss reputation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom