Would you EDC a Taurus?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no such thing as 100% reliable. Your gun may have never failed in a billion rounds, but if it ever does, even one time, it's not 100% reliable. And there's always the possibility, if it hasn't, that it will.

I would carry the best I could afford. if that was a Taurus, I'd carry a Taurus.

But I'd feel a lot better if it was at least Ruger quality. I'd feel even better with a CZ, or Sig, or S&W or Colt. There are probably as good or better quality guns that I'm not familiar with (Korth?), but at that point the law of diminishing returns probably kicks in.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried a Taurus PT145 for several years. It's always gone bang, never had a feed problem, etc.

Several other Tauruses (Taurii?) I had/have trouble with... still got 2 that need repair, I haven't sent them back, though I've had them probably 10 years. lol.

My PT140 and PT145 have always been ultra reliable, though.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned 4. Had a PT-92 and a model 66 in the 90's, both worked excellent, never a problem. Later I owned a 605 and had problems with it doing light primer strikes after a few hundred rnds and sold it to a gunsmith for cheap who said he could fix it. I had an 809 a few yrs back and had problems with it when a metal part got bent upwards, fixed it and sold it to a friend. He still carries and shoots it to this day. So out of 4 guns owned, I'm running 50/50. My uncle swears by his Taurus .45 and this is a man who saw quite a bit of combat in Vietnam. Personally, you could get a 1st gen Smith Shield for pretty cheap now that the Shield plus is out and not have near the concern about reliability. Would I own a Taurus again? Only a used one that I was very familiar with from a family member or friend who I went to the range with to see it in action. YMMV.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a G2C that`s a good shooter and I have no problem with carrying it daily except I got spoiled to carrying a DB9...
G2 PT111 was the first gun I ever EDC'd because its what I could afford at the time and it never gave me any issues no matter what I fed it. Now as soon as I was able to afford a higher end gun I sold it and traded up for one of the original Sig P320. But that little taurus served its purpose well while i had it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would carry one of their Officer sized 9mm once I ran a few mags threw it to see what it likes, or if it needed better mags.

Latest posts

Top Bottom