Would you EDC a Taurus?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So tell me with all of the Taurus praise lately, would you carry one for self defense?

I understand trying to save money. I am all about that, but there are some places that I just can't compromise.

I have only carried S&W and/or Glock since the mid eighties, and although I might consider a few other brands carry worthy, I just don't see that changing anytime soon if ever.

Last edited:

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Taurus 1911 I got from a member here and I carry it more than any other. Mainly because it is my do everything, go everywhere gun. It’s on my hip in the woods, on the 4 wheeler, on the tractor, etc, but it is also in my truck or on my hip when I run into town. It has always been accurate and dependable, even when I’ve got it covered in chainsaw dust.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So tell me with all of the Taurus praise lately, would you carry one for self defense?

I understand trying to save money. I am all about that, but there are some places that I just can't compromise.

I have only carried S&W and/or Glock since the mid eighties, and although I might consider a few other brands carry worthy, I just don't see that changing anytime soon if ever.
Key point in that post to me is the "I" in the phrase "I can't compromise". I don't know you or your situation so hopefully my assumption here is not incorrect that I bet your situation is better than many folks in our country.

There are a lot of guns that exist because while those of us with lots of disposable dollars can be snobby, not everyone with a need for self-defense can be. In a different time, the first gun I ever bought was a Taurus because that's what I had the dollars for. Now, it was also the first I sold when I could get something better, but again --- I'm in a different position than many people in our country. I've owned a few Taurus guns over the years besides that first one, and never had a problem with them to be honest, and if it was all I had, then I'd feel fine about it.

Taurus is not exactly cranking out the "saturday night specials" of the late 60's here, and while their track record is not perfect, no manufacturer's record is perfect. Even then, one of the reasons that SNSs didn't get screwed up by the GCA68 if memory serves me right is because the court ruled that eliminating affordable guns that could be used as defense weapons by a population without much wealth was illegal. (Interestingly, the first examples of using pricing as a means of prohibition come from the post-Civil War period).

TL/DR: Are they my go to carry? No. Would I if I had no other means or options? Sure.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taurus M605 Poly Protector 357 magnum is my carry gun in the summertime if lightly dressed. Automatic No, Wheel gun I have no problem with carrying. The canted holster I had made rides the gun high when wearing short shirts and still keeps it concealed. And at 25 ounces you can carry all day and not even realize the weight.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Key point in that post to me is the "I" in the phrase "I can't compromise". I don't know you or your situation so hopefully my assumption here is not incorrect that I bet your situation is better than many folks in our country.

There are a lot of guns that exist because while those of us with lots of disposable dollars can be snobby, not everyone with a need for self-defense can be. In a different time, the first gun I ever bought was a Taurus because that's what I had the dollars for. Now, it was also the first I sold when I could get something better, but again --- I'm in a different position than many people in our country. I've owned a few Taurus guns over the years besides that first one, and never had a problem with them to be honest, and if it was all I had, then I'd feel fine about it.

Taurus is not exactly cranking out the "saturday night specials" of the late 60's here, and while their track record is not perfect, no manufacturer's record is perfect. Even then, one of the reasons that SNSs didn't get screwed up by the GCA68 if memory serves me right is because the court ruled that eliminating affordable guns that could be used as defense weapons by a population without much wealth was illegal. (Interestingly, the first examples of using pricing as a means of prohibition come from the post-Civil War period).

TL/DR: Are they my go to carry? No. Would I if I had no other means or options? Sure.
You would be surprised at how far below the poverty line I exist.

Latest posts

Top Bottom