Would You Enlist Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you were a young person, knowing what you know now, would you join the military again?

• Yes

Votes: 50 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 24 32.4%

• Total voters

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was assigned in to the 746th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron in 1963 at Cherry Hill (Oklahoma City Air Force Station). East of Tinker AFB-know where that is? That huge "bubble" was part of the early warning system in case we were under attack. Inside there is a huge radar that "Blips" every cycle going around the bubble and one day it quit.
Well one of the bright young Airman of few stripes noted that the cause of failure was a set of points and he also noted that FOMOCO was stamped on the set of points. He took his own money, $2.25 downtown OKC to Fred Jones Ford and bought a new set of points with the same number stamped on the points.
He brought the points out to the radar dome and installed them and had the radar running again in short order! He was quite proud of himself and told those around what he'd done. They thought because of his initiative that he was a "fast burner" and surely bound for an early promotion. Who knew what the future held for this bright Airman?
But then the Officer-in-Charge, a Major who was a WWII veteran came out to see wha the commotion was all about. When he was told of hat this dedicated young Airman did, he was expected to acknowledge him and perhaps give him his gratitude because they were back on line and fully operational.
But that isn't what happened, the Major became very red in the face and used quite a bit of profanity-formerly reserved and used during combat situations. And the young Airman got a chewing-out that reviled the worst that he or those listening ever had nor would have. He was told in no uncertain terms that he was never to do go out of the chain of supply again and that he was to take out the new set of points that he had installed and that was protecting this sector on the United States by radar and wait until a new set of points were flown in by a special aircraft from Scott AFB at a cost of $730.00 for the points alone, not withstanding the cost of the flight crew and aircraft.
And the aircraft and crew arrived within a few days with the set of points at Tinker AFB, a driver picked up the points on from the aircraft and brought them to Cherry Hill, they were installed and we were protected again by long range radar.
The 746th Aircraft Control and Warning squadron was deactivated in 1968. And the reason it was called Cherry Hill was because of...the radar dome which is still visible driving down SE 59th St east of Tinker AFB.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was assigned in to the 746th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron in 1963 at Cherry Hill (Oklahoma City Air Force Station). East of Tinker AFB-know where that is? That huge "bubble" was part of the early warning system in case we were under attack. Inside there is a huge radar that "Blips" every cycle going around the bubble and one day it quit.
Well one of the bright young Airman of few stripes noted that the cause of failure was a set of points and he also noted that FOMOCO was stamped on the set of points. He took his own money, $2.25 downtown OKC to Fred Jones Ford and bought a new set of points with the same number stamped on the points.
He brought the points out to the radar dome and installed them and had the radar running again in short order! He was quite proud of himself and told those around what he'd done. They thought because of his initiative that he was a "fast burner" and surely bound for an early promotion. Who knew what the future held for this bright Airman?
But then the Officer-in-Charge, a Major who was a WWII veteran came out to see wha the commotion was all about. When he was told of hat this dedicated young Airman did, he was expected to acknowledge him and perhaps give him his gratitude because they were back on line and fully operational.
But that isn't what happened, the Major became very red in the face and used quite a bit of profanity-formerly reserved and used during combat situations. And the young Airman got a chewing-out that reviled the worst that he or those listening ever had nor would have. He was told in no uncertain terms that he was never to do go out of the chain of supply again and that he was to take out the new set of points that he had installed and that was protecting this sector on the United States by radar and wait until a new set of points were flown in by a special aircraft from Scott AFB at a cost of $730.00 for the points alone, not withstanding the cost of the flight crew and aircraft.
And the aircraft and crew arrived within a few days with the set of points at Tinker AFB, a driver picked up the points on from the aircraft and brought them to Cherry Hill, they were installed and we were protected again by long range radar.
The 746th Aircraft Control and Warning squadron was deactivated in 1968. And the reason it was called Cherry Hill was because of...the radar dome which is still visible driving down SE 59th St east of Tinker AFB.
We had some domes. Snapped these while joy riding in a sh-3 sea king
IMG_20230331_152338557.jpg
IMG_20230331_152332172.jpg
IMG_20230331_152346748.jpg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
So there are no more recruits running up and down the squad bay at port arms with a bucket on his head screaming, "I will keep my sarcastic mutherfkin mouth shut!" "I will keep my sarcastic mutherfkin mouth shut!" "I will keep my sarcastic mutherfkin mouth shut!" And when he passes the DI the bucket gets whacked?

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sadly had to vote "No." I would not want to submit myself to a command structure in which I have no confidence or respect. I served during the Carter administration and I believe that this is orders of magnitude worse than then.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was the supply NCO at the base photo lab, Nellis AFB, NM. Bought some resistors at Radio Shack, and some light bulbs at the local lighting supply place, first out of my own pocket as your young troop did. My Lieutenant was pleased, and bashed base supply over the head enough about it that
I sadly had to vote "No." I would not want to submit myself to a command structure in which I have no confidence or respect. I served during the Carter administration and I believe that this is orders of magnitude worse than then.
Yea, verily!!! I did that time too.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely not. This country hates me and reminds me of that frequently
It's not the whole country, though I get where you're coming from. You old enough to remember how GI's got treated after Vietnam? I enlisted a couple of years before we left. I got called a baby killer and spat at on the street less than half a block from my house, and the closest I ever got to Nam was Santa Catalina Island. I worked with guys who'd been there, and most of them were pretty messed up from what they saw and did, and the way they got treated when they came back. When we went to Desert Shield/Desert Storm, I expected the same kind of crap. Didn't get it. Folks who'd been that way to our guys who went to Nam were finally aware that it was politicians who were responsible, not GI's. From what I can see, it's probably a cyclical thing. I hate it! But it's not the guys who answer the call when politicians say we're needed, it's the politicians who are to blame. I am not really all that fond of Republican politicians, but I'm even less fond of Democrat politicians, these days. I've been a member of both parties, and am no longer. And Biden became a congress critter a year or so after I enlisted. Maybe you can figure out why I'm not so fond of Democrats these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom