Would You Enlist Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you were a young person, knowing what you know now, would you join the military again?

• Yes

Votes: 50 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 24 32.4%

• Total voters

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sadly had to vote "No." I would not want to submit myself to a command structure in which I have no confidence or respect. I served during the Carter administration and I believe that this is orders of magnitude worse than then.
I was the supply NCO at the base photo lab, Nellis AFB, NM. Bought some resistors at Radio Shack, and some light bulbs at the local lighting supply place, first out of my own pocket as your young troop did. My Lieutenant was pleased, and bashed base supply over the head enough about it that

Yea, verily!!! I did that time too.
My commission was signed by Carter. I thought I could never hate a president more than him then Clinton, then Obammy, then Biden. Holy sheets who is next?

My hatred grows exponentially with each demonrat president elected.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My commission was signed by Carter. I thought I could never hate a president more than him then Clinton, then Obammy, then Biden. Holy sheets who is next?

My hatred grows exponentially with each demonrat president elected.
My retirement certificate is signed by Bill Clinton. I do not display it. Probably should be keeping it in a biohazard bag.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you asking about whether I would make the same choice to enlist back when I did?

If so I would have to say yes,,,
It was 1970 and I had a pregnant girlfriend.

I was working a minimum wage job just barely surviving myself,,,
When I learned about the medical benefits given to military dependents,,,
I decided that this was the only way I could afford to take care of a wife and kid.

I made the decision to enlist in the USAF just a few days before I drew Number Six (yes, zero zero six) in the second draft lottery,,,
Given those circumstances I would do the exact same thing for the exact same reason.

I didn't dodge military service,,,
But I damn sure tried to dodge Viet Nam.

Didn't work though,,,
I didn't do a full year there but my TDY was a true ordeal.

Aarond

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you asking about whether I would make the same choice to enlist back when I did?

I decided that this was the only way I could afford to take care of a wife and kid.

I made the decision to enlist in the USAF just a few days before I drew Number Six (yes, zero zero six) in the second draft lottery,,,
Given those circumstances I would do the exact same thing for the exact same reason.

Didn't work though,,,

Aarond

Ha! Mine was #3 and 1A. I get into college and reclassified as 1H. Then I did 4 years of ROTC with a DOR of 12 1979.

Rethinking, Yes I would enlist again, Maybe if I had put more into it, I wouldn't have had the outcome I received.

To be clear, it was 1975 when I enrolled in college. Viet Nam was over in 1973

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't serve but I really wanted to enlist when the 1st Gulf War broke out. Badly. When I mentioned it to my then wife she had a full on **** fit. I thought about it and decided she was actually right, though not for the reasons she gave. I stayed home due to the kids being young.

Today with Milley and Austin? Nope.... No way in hell. :hellno:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Didn't work though,,,

Aarond

What a funny world. A few years later, I volunteered to go to Nam, or anywhere else in theater. Never ever made it to that part of the world. I didn't have dependents, didn't actually plan to have any, either. That came along much later. Did spend a few years in SW Asia, including Desert Shield/Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1997, would I enlist then knowing then what I know now?
Hell yes!
Sure, there would be some advice to the young guy joining the Navy but seriously, what young recruit actually listens to solid wisdom?
Today, would I encourage a young person to join the military. Yes, I did. My daughter joined the Navy a year and a half ago and it is still a great organization for a young person to align themselves with.
Sure, our "president" is a puppet but the military is (fortunately) still a solid organization which instills good values and work ethics.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So there are no more recruits running up and down the squad bay at port arms with a bucket on his head screaming, "I will keep my sarcastic mutherfkin mouth shut!" "I will keep my sarcastic mutherfkin mouth shut!" "I will keep my sarcastic mutherfkin mouth shut!" And when he passes the DI the bucket gets whacked?
Yeah, in basic, I smirked at the DI when he was dressing me down in morning formation. I was not one to be broke. I spent an hour at the flag pole in front of the barracks in a loud voice saying "flagpole! I am a laughing dumba$$ while saluting the flagpole, repeating that mantra until the platoon finished breakfast and having to fall in for PT with no breakfast for me.
That was Ok with me. When they realized I was one that couldn't be broke, they made me acting platoon Sergeant.
It was a different basic than what the trainees go through now.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, in basic, I smirked at the DI when he was dressing me down in morning formation. I was not one to be broke. I spent an hour at the flag pole in front of the barracks in a loud voice saying "flagpole! I am a laughing dumba$$ while saluting the flagpole, repeating that mantra until the platoon finished breakfast and having to fall in for PT with no breakfast for me.
That was Ok with me. When they realized I was one that couldn't be broke, they made me acting platoon Sergeant.
It was a different basic than what the trainees go through now.

I must have been lucky. When I went to Basic, I was assigned to a company of National Guard/Reserve recruits. Once the cadre found out that I was RA (Regular Army/enlistee), I didn't get much crap at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom