WOW! Eagle Creek Fire teen ordered to pay $36 million restitution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just wish some DC .govs could get some justice like this for their "misbehavior/antics/misdeeds". If this kid can get a fine like this for playing with fireworks, the DC .govs should REALLY have to shell out some heavy amounts.

http://www.koin.com/news/oregon/jud...-opinion-for-eagle-creek-fire-teen/1190759924
Eagle Creek Fire teen ordered to pay $36 million
By: Eileen Park and KOIN 6 News Staff
Updated: May 21, 2018 05:53 PM PDT

Last edited:

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up in Hood River, hiking those trails year round. I'm glad that punk is going to have to pay for some of the damages, but I think the sentence is a token sentence, it will be forgiven after 10 years as long as he doesn't get in trouble again, doesn't say how much he'll have to pay during that 10 years but since he's 15 now I doubt it will be much.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Declare bankruptcy?

Given it's criminal restitution (which is relatively more common in OR and WA, interestingly) and not a civil judgment against him, I actually doubt it could be discharged or relieved through bankruptcy.

We deal with them in insurance collections, like when a criminally-convicted driver causes a loss (think a DUI uninsured driver hits our insured). The courts are pretty good at collecting back that money, if small amounts at a time. Garnishments, tax returns (in OR as no state income tax in WA)... they're like the damn IRS. It's a helluva deal.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Given it's criminal restitution (which is relatively more common in OR and WA, interestingly) and not a civil judgment against him, I actually doubt it could be discharged or relieved through bankruptcy.

We deal with them in insurance collections, like when a criminally-convicted driver causes a loss (think a DUI uninsured driver hits our insured). The courts are pretty good at collecting back that money, if small amounts at a time. Garnishments, tax returns (in OR as no state income tax in WA)... they're like the damn IRS. It's a helluva deal.
Thanks for clearing that up.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all, there are signs all over Oregon giving the status for fire danger, so it is very unlikely that the kid(s) didn't have a clue. If it is the same incident that I remember reading about at the time, he(they) were lighting and throwing fireworks over a cliff into a forested area, thus even if they had seen a fire start, they couldn't have done anything to be able to put it out, so he(they) need to "get some kind of education."

Latest posts

Top Bottom