WOW lead is DIRTY!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How do you put a gas check on a loaded round? You gota put it on the cast bullet(if it is designed for it, or use a soft GC on a plain base bullet) before you load the round.

I've pushed a 44 plain base cast to 1300 FPS with no leading in over 50 rounds fired.

Sorry about that, I didn't realize I had wrote it that way, chalk it up to age an bad eye sight!!

You can run them fast, but that depends on the hardness of the lead.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, you load is not building enough pressure to expand the case and seal in the chamber therefore you
are getting blow back when the round goes off allowing powder residue and small amounts if bullet lube to
be blown back into the action, raising the pressure(more or different powder) a little may help but it could also cause barrel leading.
You can live with the blowback and extra cleaning or change something to try to fix it.
The chamber in your barrel may be big enough that nothing short of a new barrel will fix it.

Cast bullets are a good source for cheap shooting and can be made to shoot and function very well,
it is not the nature of cast bullets to be dirty!!!!

Ok so maybe I can get a little education on loading lead bullets. After shooting another 100 rds today, I believe my problem is with the blue wax lube ring is blowing back in the fluted chamber of my HK's, while not so much with my 9mm AR.

Should I try a tighter crimp or try to seat the bullet deeper?

Thanks,

Jesse

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The fluted chamber in that HK is going to be the drawback as the case can never seal upon firing,
you'll just have to live with if you want to shoot cast with wax lube, there are cast bullets out there that are dry lubed check around to find some I don't know who sells them.
When you find some buy a couple a 100 to try as they may lead the barrel.

You can go to this sight:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ and learn all about loading/shooting cast boolits. There's more info there you can ever learn in a book.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think that changing crimp or seating depth with have any material effect on your primary issue. Choosing a powder that burns clean, with a low temp, will possibly reduce any flute-filling tendencies. Let us know what you find out. You may find that a fluted chamber firearm just isn't the berries with any cast bullet load.

Have you tried a moly coated bullet? They are usually only slightly more expensive than cast. Be aware there is a possibility that the moly may make a bigger mess (and be harder to clean out) down in the chamber grooves. Shoot only a few, then clean to check for effect.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well a little update... Hooked up with JK at the last Tulsa gunshow and picked up some of his 124gn LRN. He provided some nice starting data. The results were great and it's much cleaner!

4gn of WST was the ticket. Thanks!!!

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just something I've found........
A good clean barrel is less likely to lead up.
If you've been shooting lots of jacketed bullets sometimes the jacket material will also foul a barrel.
The lead will load up in this scenario sometimes.
For the most part cooper/brass fouling doesn't usually bother jacketed rounds as much.

A little off subject but nice to know.
As always "Your mileage may vary."

Latest posts

Top Bottom