WOW! The cold front just smacked our house.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lived in Douglas, WY for a couple of years. Those winds were crazy! My car was blown into the other lane due to the strong cross winds.
This Summer we were pulling the RV east of Rawlings Wy down I-80 to visit a friend in that city. We felt a jolt that seemed like hitting a curb and getting moved back into the lane. Wife and I just looked at each other and on we went not knowing what just happened. About two miles later, a wind gust moved our 16,000 + 5th wheel and the F-250 into another lane within feet. Frightening experience to say the least.
Upon getting into Rawlings and meeting our friends we learned that short stretch of highway is famous for toppling over semi's and RV's. On occasion he told us, they force high profile vehicles to the shoulder until the cross winds that come down those canyons calm down.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived in Douglas, WY for a couple of years. Those winds were crazy! My car was blown into the other lane due to the strong cross winds.
A friend of mine named Ditch worked for a compressor repair company in Douglas and Casper. He said on the job arrival one day he opened his company truck door and the wind took it off. He said he would have been in trouble but the news was reporting a freight train blew off its tracks that same day.

1642229605059.png

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah... I spent some formative years living in Casper, WY. For the most part the wind here is for rookies (non-tornado related). Especially considering some of the temps that went with those WY winds.
Ive spent a bit of time on well pads in the Casper/Douglas area several years ago and am back to spending time every 2-3 months in the Gillette area now. I think any office folks that work with the patch up there need to spend at least 3 days up there in January or February to truly earn their place.

We were up there walking through a fractionation facility we were building and it was too cold to pull wire because the insulation was brittle. Driving down the interstate was so cold that the defrost was actually frosting over the inside of the windshield. We found out work was halted due to temps once we made it on site.

I truly love that part of the country, but man it is a completely different kind of cold up there.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everybody okay?? Didn't do any damage I hope.
Everyone Ok. Thought a plane hit the house at first. No damage I can tell but haven't got on roof to check for sure due to wind. Early this morning wind blew limb off roof blocking front door. Friend came over and we dragged it away from house with tractor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom