Writers and Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched the first few minutes of a NCIS: Los Angeles episode last night and was shocked when Sam Hanna squatted down, looked at three shell casings lying on a rooftop and announced that the shooter had used a .357 magnum!

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like the old westerns. Click when empty, two more clicks, and then throw the gun at the person they ran out of ammo shooting at.
Old thread, but reading this reminded me of something that a friend pointed out in the old Superman series with George Reeves. Does anyone remember that he just stood still when the bad guys shot him and the bullets bounced off his chest but Superman ducked when the villain emptied his gun and threw it at him?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old thread, but reading this reminded me of something that a friend pointed out in the old Superman series with George Reeves. Does anyone remember that he just stood still when the bad guys shot him and the bullets bounced off his chest but Superman ducked when the villain emptied his gun and threw it at him?
Can't say I remember that, but I will take your word for it.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most writers get guns wrong FWIW , Don Pendelton got them right mostly in the Executioner series but would hyperbolize their effectiveness to the extreme.

If you read his very first book he has Mack Bolan using a 444 Marlin and describing it in a level of effectiveness which is close to a 105mm howitzer.

Still I loved the original books he wrote before he died. The later books sucked.

Genesis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you love gear and want accurate (almost annoyingly so) writer when it comes to guns and gear.. Jack Carr. The terminal list series. Carr is an AVID outdoorsman, a former real deal SEAL, and a gear guy. The amazon series is good, but the books are VERY good when it comes to that stuff. Hes certainly not the most capable writer ive ever read (this isnt a slight. Hes a great author) but man, the guns and gear is on POINT. he goes so far as to mention which ammo is loaded into the PMAG in reeses hk416, whith which optic in what mount, what bipod, etc. Refreshing, and fun to hear what a real SEAL would outfit his idealized version of a SEAL with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom