Writing a will

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this sounds pretty accurate to me.
Unfortunately I'll learn all this very soon as my mother is very old and has some serious health issues going on now, that could be terminal (cancer). She begins chemo tomorrow and if it doesnt work, its her last option,
My father is in horrible condition and I dont know if he'll make it to see 85. He just turned 84 Sunday.

Sorry to hear about your parents. We all loose them and the rush of memories when one realizes they are at that level brings back more of the great moments you had with them and what they did to raise you
Living to their 80’s, well beyond the life expectancy of average humans is a credit to them.
I’m hoping they can beat this and continue their life.
I know it’s going to be incredibly hard from this point out.

Been there done that and you have a long road to travel. If I can help in any way,even to text or a phone call to talk I’m ok with that.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to my now deceased step=dad, he took an old will and changed/rearranged it somewhat and took it to a tag agency and had them "type" it up for him and he paid each of the gals there $5 to witness the will and had it notarized and it held up in court. I never heard of such a thing but he had money and yet he went around in circles to save a couple of bucks. If a will is so important and you do want your "stuff" to go to whomever you desire, go to a lawyer and pay him to prepare you will. They know what they're doing and it can prevent eternal heartburn.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your parents. We all loose them and the rush of memories when one realizes they are at that level brings back more of the great moments you had with them and what they did to raise you
Living to their 80’s, well beyond the life expectancy of average humans is a credit to them.
I’m hoping they can beat this and continue their life.
I know it’s going to be incredibly hard from this point out.

Been there done that and you have a long road to travel. If I can help in any way,even to text or a phone call to talk I’m ok with that.
Its already incredibly difficult as my siblings are living out of state and my folks are getting to that point where they need a LOT of help doing simply things. Dad suffered a stroke last year and he's like a 5 year old now and mom is sharp as a tack but has battled cancer all of her adult life and is also having mobility issues.
I have to buy them groceries and deliver to them because neither of them can walk that far, and things like that.
I'm grateful to be able to help because they took care of me when I came into this world and I'll help them leave this world with both pride and great sadness.
I appreciate the kind words.
Thank you for that
Sincerely

According to my now deceased step=dad, he took an old will and changed/rearranged it somewhat and took it to a tag agency and had them "type" it up for him and he paid each of the gals there $5 to witness the will and had it notarized and it held up in court. I never heard of such a thing but he had money and yet he went around in circles to save a couple of bucks. If a will is so important and you do want your "stuff" to go to whomever you desire, go to a lawyer and pay him to prepare you will. They know what they're doing and it can prevent eternal heartburn.
I did basically the same thing. Took my Grandmas old will and reworded things, names, etc and had two witnesses (my boss and front desk admin assistant) sign it and print their address, along with my signature and the admin assistant was a notary, so she stamped it and it was a legal document. No where does it say a lawyer has to prepare anything to make it legal. A lawyer will take any confusion out of the puzzle if your situation is a difficult one. No different than preparing your own taxes if you have no outstanding circumstances that make it more necessary to get a professional CPA. My will simply says my parents become the owner of all my assets if I die before them and if they are deceased, my sister and brother are to get equal 50/50 split of the total value of everything. I am divorced and have no children so that is the most difficult part of it all. Now I'm approaching marriage again and at that time, I will change it to leave everything to her.
Easy peasy

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Oklahoma a will that is NOT probated will pass marketable title. But an affidavit of death and heirship stating the decedent died testate with the will attached has to be filed in the county clerks office.

If they didn’t have a will a death certificate attached will work but I think there’s a 10 year wait for any challenges before title vests.

This is for real property, IDK about personal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom