Wrong Primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The other day I went and bought a bunch of reloading stuff. In the process the guy behind the counter gave me Small Magnum Rifle primers instead of the small rifle primers that I asked for. Of course, like a dummy, I didn't check before I left and just threw them in my stack. Today I loaded up a couple of hundred rounds and after I reached for the next box of primers I finally noticed.

My question is now that I have about 80 rounds with the wrong primers in them do I need to start pulling bullets or just shoot them and see what happens.

Thanks

Double_tap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long you are not loading at max load, shoot a few and check for overpressure signs. I load my .270 with magnum primers because that is what I keep around for my 7mm mag and I have never had a problem with overpressure on middle of the road loads.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I dont think I I could even get to max pressure with the current load. I am pushing a 55 gr bullet over 25.8-26.1 gr of reloader 15 in a 223 cartridge.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you might of started a little high for a mag primer but I'd bet your probably right on the money

That was my worry. I have made that load up with standard small rifle primers in the past and even did so in the same loading session. I just didn't notice that these were wrong. Total head up ass syndrome. I shot about 20 this afternoon just to check them and other than those CCI primers being hard as hell I had no issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom