XBOW SPEED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Going to buy a new crossbow. I am looking at a bow that shoots 330 fps. But there is another one I like that shoots 360 fps but its $175 more money. My question is how much faster is 30 fps. Take like a car 2 seconds faster through the quarter mile to people that don't know. It doesn't sound like that much faster. But 2 seconds is a lot a lot faster. And cost a lot more money to get there. So is it worth it to spend $175 for 30 fps?

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two modes of thought here. The first is "dead is dead". There are plenty of deer that get killed every year with bows at 300 fps or slower. They have been killed for years at speeds like that. Just a few years ago...330 FPS was smoking fast. Now, you feel inadequate at those speeds. lol...

I lean more towards the faster speeds, simply because it eliminates excuses in my own mind. I never want to think that if i would have spent the extra $$ that i would "not have missed that deer" or could have made a little further shot. That's the way I've always looked at it.
Good luck with your choice!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges! Not apples to oranges!
Read real close the test info as the bolt (weight) and head weight and style (broadhead vs. target) make all the difference in the tests.
My Barnett wildcat is supposed to shoot like 330 fps but I found it likes 125grs. heads instead of 100grs. So I figure its going about 275fps
5 bolts w/target heads into my bag at 50yds is so tight of group I'll get bolt damage. I got mine in the off season on Ebay for like $159 used but guaranteed never dryfired or I could return it.
If I was going to buy a new one it would be a Ten Point.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with a second hand Excalibur Exomax 350 fps and upgraded to a Matrix 380 (due to smaller size and more fps but there was/is absolutely nothing "wrong" with the Exomax), and when the Micro 335 came out, I just had to have one. All that being said, I've now killed a bunch of deer with the Micro and have proven to myself that speed isn't everything.

Personally, I wouldn't pay the extra money for only 30 fps.:anyone:

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hands down the most bang for your buck is the Centerpointe Sniper 370 from amazon. Me and the kids killed 4 deer with it. But like mentioned above. Dead is dead.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to buy a new crossbow. I am looking at a bow that shoots 330 fps. But there is another one I like that shoots 360 fps but its $175 more money. My question is how much faster is 30 fps. Take like a car 2 seconds faster through the quarter mile to people that don't know. It doesn't sound like that much faster. But 2 seconds is a lot a lot faster. And cost a lot more money to get there. So is it worth it to spend $175 for 30 fps?
2 seconds is a lot faster; how many 440yd shots do you plan on taking?

At 50 yards, it's about .04 seconds. That's only a few extra inches of drop, and if you have a multi-pin (or dot) sight, you'll have dialed that in anyway.

If it's worth the money to you, go for it. If not, you'll do fine, and the extra money in your pocket will pay for a lot of range trip, practice bolts, etc.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about speed! Both are plenty fast. With a crossbow I would worry about manufacturer, quality of parts, parts sourcing, and testing. LOTS of stress on a crossbows. Lots to fail and go wrong, buy the right one and have it last for years. Buy the wrong one and you will be lucky to make it past your first hunt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom