XBOW SPEED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speed = less arch thus more accurate. That is all. As stated your going to dial in at the different yardages no mater the arch but the flatter shooting (faster) bolt will help compensate for the shooters error in judging distance.
If the bolt drops 10" between 30-40 yards versus 4" of drop (thats an extreme example), that makes it worth extra speed to me.
Figure what the drop rate is with 30 fps more and then decide.

Last edited:

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot my little Barnett over the chronograph after I figured out which bolts and broadheads it likes best, and it clocks in at 328 fps.. It will keep 5 bolts inside a 2" circle at 50 yds., and has killed a lot of deer, 62 to be exact. The 4X crossbow scope on it has 4 lines in it, and they correspond at exactly 20 yds., 30 yds., 42 yds. and 53 yds.. I sure wish I had a faster crossbow, but what will I gain from it?

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've gone from a 350 with 160lb draw weight to a 330 with 125 draw weight. Dial in the scope to 40 yards and can't tell the difference other than reloading when target practicing.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speed isn't everything. Rifle shooters know well that sometimes pushing a projectile faster often leads to less accuracy, not more. Furthermore it can wear out your equipment faster. In the case of certain rifles you can burn out barrels on super hot loads. With crossbows our strings and limbs see a lot more wear the closer we approach 400 fps. If you back it off some you get that sweet spot where their is plenty of energy, accuracy, and minimal wear on your equipment.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I shot my little Barnett over the chronograph after I figured out which bolts and broadheads it likes best, and it clocks in at 328 fps.. It will keep 5 bolts inside a 2" circle at 50 yds., and has killed a lot of deer, 62 to be exact. The 4X crossbow scope on it has 4 lines in it, and they correspond at exactly 20 yds., 30 yds., 42 yds. and 53 yds.. I sure wish I had a faster crossbow, but what will I gain from it?
How long have you owned your Barnett

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an Excalibur Matrix Mega 405, which means I like speed. An Xbow is going to make noise when it goes off. Speed will help with the noise. As stated before, you need to look at the quality of the xbow you are buying. Spend more money on a slower quality piece of equipment vs less money on a low quality faster piece of equipment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom