XD9 4 inch or 5 inch for IDPA ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reich10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a great attitude to have, it is a good way to test out your carry gun and find out what will and wont work for you. Sometimes I do that myself, break out my Commander and give that a run for a match. I can totally respect anyone who wants to shoot what they will actually carry on the street.

+1. That is what idpa was intended for in the first place. Granted it is fun to compete but deep down it shold be about improving your ability to protect yourself and your loved ones.

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something about the ruling i dont get. But it is what it is. Thank you for the information. Seems i am going to be at a competitive disadvantage carrying an xd, it being 40cal and it being a sub compact. Ugh 3x. But i want to compete for me.....to improve my skill. So as long as i keep bettering myself it will be great experience!

I shoot compacts and sub compacts. You stated you were not out for trophy's. Shoot what you want and have fun.

AFA a disadvantage - there is none. I shoot a compact Glock in ESP and many of my friends use XDs. You will not hear any of us complaining about a disadvantage. Now a disadvantage is SSP for a Glock that can not run a steel guide rod... blah blah blah and I digress.

With a good set of sights and a good trigger it doesn't matter the platform..., unless you believe 1911s are jam-a-matics and Glocks/XDs rule ;-)) lol Then the 1911 platform will be disadvantaged ;-O

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something about the ruling i dont get. But it is what it is. Thank you for the information. Seems i am going to be at a competitive disadvantage carrying an xd, it being 40cal and it being a sub compact. Ugh 3x. But i want to compete for me.....to improve my skill. So as long as i keep bettering myself it will be great experience!

AFA the ruling goes let me try - the XD cocks the trigger / resets the striker upon firing i.e single action. With a Glock the striker is not reset/ cocked until the trigger bar retracts when the shooter pulls the trigger i.e double action.

What I don't think anyone has mentioned is you will be shooting against those in the same classification. So if you qualify as a marksman with a compact you are only shooting against MM. Now if you qualify with a XD 5 incher and decide to shoot a XD 3 incher then that is your choice. What I am getting at is shoot the classifier with the pistol you intend to shoot.

This way your skill set and pistol will be competing on an equal footing.

Have fun and don't worry about it.

Slammer

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
2300 N Lincoln Blvd, OKlahoma City, OK 73105
IDPA's rule making body basically says the XD has a single action trigger, something about it not retracting the striker enough before release to be legal for SSP.

It puts the XD in a division where IMO it really has a hard time competing with the other guns (lets not start a discussion about equipment vs. skill here, we all know Rob Leatham will beat most comers with an XD). Custom built XX11's with single action triggers and magwells are hardly an equitable comparison. But maybe that's just me.

I just now realized that you said you already had both gun. Shoot both of them and find out for yourself. The shorter guns are snappier and the longer gun more accurate theoretically. Neither is right or wrong it all depends on what you are most comfortable seeing.

bboswell

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are open to other options, might consider the S&W M&P Pro. I tried the Gluck and SA & pro side by side and went M&P. Great gun. And more matches won with Gluck or M&P. I see few plastic SA in competitions and rarely on podium.

Latest posts

Top Bottom