Yard drainage help/ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got a spot in my yard that will not drain and holds water. A few years ago we had a pool put in and it’s not been right ever since in this area. I’ve tried top soil but don’t think I’ve ever added enough to make a substantial difference.

My thoughts now are to till it up and resod the area, add a solid 2” of topsoil or compost and hope the Bermuda grows through fast enough, or install a French drain. Any thoughts on what you guys would do? It’s quickly getting worse so time to quit looking the other way!

ETA: the soil out here just sucks in general. The builder used sandy loam on top of the clay so it’s really slow draining over the entire yard.
95B88FBF-0B82-43A9-B32B-83FC278B8D57.jpeg

Last edited:

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does water drain from the other side under the gate?
It looks like a decent grade keeping the water away from the house.
Yeah it def keeps it away from the house still. I think when they re graded it, a high spot was made there by the gate which explains some of the pooling but still shouldn’t be ankle deep.

It does collect in the back yard some, but not anything like this.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Without seeing the big picture of your yard, it is hard to tell. French drains can work well; but surface drainage is always better. I presume it needs to drain to the front. Do you live in a neighborhood with curb and gutter streets, or do you have a street/road ditch? Do you have a sidewalk between this pool and where it needs to go? Just from that picture I would say a dump-truck load would do wonders, but without seeing it, I cannot tell.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Water flows down hill. The surface needs to be graded correctly or you will always have a water issue. Your yard has to have fall or the water wont drain properly. Think of a pond… you could add dirt….lots of dirt and try to fill it in. Get rid of the dam and the water is gone quick. You have a high spot somewhere daming the water up.

You could put in a below ground drain pipe with surface drain boxes but it would take 6” pipe/ads and several drain boxes to deal with that much water. Even then it’s putting a band aide on it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Water flows down hill. The surface needs to be graded correctly or you will always have a water issue. Your yard has to have fall or the water wont drain properly. Think of a pond… you could add dirt….lots of dirt and try to fill it in. Get rid of the dam and the water is gone quick. You have a high spot somewhere daming the water up.

You could put in a below ground drain pipe with surface drain boxes but it would take 6” pipe/ads and several drain boxes to deal with that much water. Even then it’s putting a band aide on it.
There ya go. OP needs more dirt. Not bags of dirt but a truck load of topsoil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom