Yard drainage help/ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Water flows down hill. The surface needs to be graded correctly or you will always have a water issue. Your yard has to have fall or the water wont drain properly. Think of a pond… you could add dirt….lots of dirt and try to fill it in. Get rid of the dam and the water is gone quick. You have a high spot somewhere daming the water up.

You could put in a below ground drain pipe with surface drain boxes but it would take 6” pipe/ads and several drain boxes to deal with that much water. Even then it’s putting a band aide on it.

I think that’s probably the most appropriate action as well. The neighbors yard slopes down to mine as well. I will try the dirt method once the grass starts to green up.

I was also leaning towards the water damming up somewhere.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a similar issue. the houses behind us are a little higher elevation so all the water runs into our yard. As soon as we pay off the tax man, we will hire a French drain. The guy we are going to use for it will build up along our back fence to keep the water from neighbors from coming our way.
The way these builders grade yards is ridiculous.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a similar issue. the houses behind us are a little higher elevation so all the water runs into our yard. As soon as we pay off the tax man, we will hire a French drain. The guy we are going to use for it will build up along our back fence to keep the water from neighbors from coming our way.
The way these builders grade yards is ridiculous.
Do you mind sending me his info? I may just get a quote and professional opinion on it while I’m at it. My backyard runs downhill and the back is basically useless in winter because of our aerobic system.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Without seeing the big picture of your yard, it is hard to tell. French drains can work well; but surface drainage is always better. I presume it needs to drain to the front. Do you live in a neighborhood with curb and gutter streets, or do you have a street/road ditch? Do you have a sidewalk between this pool and where it needs to go? Just from that picture I would say a dump-truck load would do wonders, but without seeing it, I canno
enuf has your answer. Forget the frenchi, go with surface whenever possible, Sometimes it can be ticklish, add a little dirt or cut a swail, maybe cut the curb and put a pipe in. Think of it as pushing the water where you want it to go.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
French drains work but can also come with maintenance and if you want a leveled-out yard, it that doesn't address that. If you are in a residential neighborhood with curb and gutter, where would the French drain exit, something else to deal with. They have applications, but if you can fix it with surface, more the better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom