Yes, another 5.56 vs. 300 BLK question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking into the 300 BLK cartridge for my next AR pistol build, but given the following conditions:

1) I will not be shooting suppressed, unless the HPA bill is made into law (I give this a 20% chance, so not expecting it)
2) I will not be hunting with it
3) Most / all my shooting will be within 100 yards. Mostly within 25 yards.
4) I will not be making an SBR out of it
5) Most of my shooting will be plinking at the range. If need be, and the pistol proves to be accurate and reliable, I may make it into a HD weapon.
6) I will not be reloading

Given all these conditions, is there any practical reason to go with 300 BLK instead of 5.56? "Just because" is not what I would consider a practical reason.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking into the 300 BLK cartridge for my next AR pistol build, but given the following conditions:

1) I will not be shooting suppressed, unless the HPA bill is made into law (I give this a 20% chance, so not expecting it)
2) I will not be hunting with it
3) Most / all my shooting will be within 100 yards. Mostly within 25 yards.
4) I will not be making an SBR out of it
5) Most of my shooting will be plinking at the range. If need be, and the pistol proves to be accurate and reliable, I may make it into a HD weapon.
6) I will not be reloading

Given all these conditions, is there any practical reason to go with 300 BLK instead of 5.56? "Just because" is not what I would consider a practical reason.

No, not really. You've laid out all of the most convincing reasons above, and they just don't fit for you, so why? I have one, for the cool factor, and because I'm getting into reloading, and because I bought a suppressor and SBR'd my .300AAC... otherwise, I would have stuck with 5.56. I do have a 6.8 I keep thinking about taking out and shooting, too... lol

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well...if you're committed to the course you've outlined, no. But consider this: I have a friend who SBRed a suppressed .300BLK pistol. When he was done, he had a shoulder-fired home defense weapon that was the same length (9" barrel plus the suppressor) as a 16" barreled 5.56 carbine, in a package that could be fired indoors without suffering permanent hearing damage. Just something to think about....

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I really don't want to have to deal with setting up a trust, adding people to it (I'm the only firearms fan in my family), doing the paperwork and waiting 6-10 months for the BATF to tell me I can use the firearm, and then having to seek additional permission to transport it across state lines. Firearms generally don't remain in my safe for long either, so the NFA route isn't a viable option for me.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OK, I may catch flack for this from more than a few, BUT...... Maybe a 7.62x39 in an AR platform fits your bill. It is cheap to shoot, fills your range requirements and still allows for all the AR upgrades and Tacti Coolness. I enjoy the round in an AR platform, much cheaper to shoot than the 300 BLK with similar ballistics. Any who, I love my 7.62 in the AR platform and plink with it allot. My .02 cents.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah using 300BLK and not reloading is just throwing money away IMHO. I can actually reload 300BLK for less per round than my 5.56 especially when cutting 5.56 cases down. You will probably be spending at least 75 cents per round to just feed the rifle compared to closer to 25 cents to reload.

If you want something in that size and AR or AK in 7.62 is a much better idea just for the cheap ammo.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah using 300BLK and not reloading is just throwing money away IMHO. I can actually reload 300BLK for less per round than my 5.56 especially when cutting 5.56 cases down. You will probably be spending at least 75 cents per round to just feed the rifle compared to closer to 25 cents to reload.

If you want something in that size and AR or AK in 7.62 is a much better idea just for the cheap ammo.
This is not a bad idea at all if you are just wanting something different. There is no reason whatsoever to do .300 BO with the criteria you gave.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard stories about 7.62x39 AR bolts failing because of the lack of material around the lugs. Is that still an issue, or has it been solved? If the latter, who makes the best such bolts?

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard stories about 7.62x39 AR bolts failing because of the lack of material around the lugs. Is that still an issue, or has it been solved? If the latter, who makes the best such bolts?
Yeah, your bolt life isn't going to be squat with 7.62x39 but bolts are cheap. Id go with the PSA KS47 to use standard AK rock in magazines. Or get a CMMG Mutant. Its a cut down 308 receiver with a full size 308 bolt. They are a lil bit pricey though. I got mine on sale for $1100

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a Windham with a little over 2300 rounds through it, no issues yet. I did have a few bad mags in the beginning, but that all worked out with a little trial and error.

Latest posts

Top Bottom